Amazon strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company. We believe that any time an AWS customer picks up the phone to call customer services; there's already mental friction.
The Web Operation Tools team builds customer service tooling to ensure that the issue is taken care of quickly and swiftly so that the friction stops there. The team is going though a transformation of the existing system and you will have a chance to participate in near-greenfield development of a platform.
Key job responsibilities
- Design implement and test features on customer service tooling
- Collaborate with experienced cross-disciplinary Amazonians to identify and design automations to resolve customer issues quickly.
- Estimate engineering effort, plan implementation, and rollout system changes that meet requirements for functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, and adherence to development goals and principles.
- Effectively collaborate in a fast paced environment with multiple teams in a large organization (software development, Project/Release Management, Build and Release, etc).
- Working in agile software development environments and running fast to deliver evolution for AWS services
- Automate or create solutions to help resolve AWS customer issues as quickly as possible.
- Mentor team memebers on industry best practices
- Ensure all code and system design meets Amazon Security standards
- Ensure all code and system design meets Amazon DevOps standards
A day in the life
As a Software Development Engineer, you will have the opportunity to influence, invent, and design system architecture. You will be responsible for building the best customer experience, keeping latency, security, and usability in mind. You will collaborate with other engineering leads on best practices and set examples by using them in solutions that you build.
About the team
Our team creates custom internal tooling for Customer Services and Business Operations teams to handle Invoicing or Billing issues. You will have opportunities to dive deep on business workflows and payment processes in order to identify opportunities to automate and optimize them by providing custom built tools.
Our system is used by thousands of internal customers to solve real issues for real AWS customers. We are also going through a transformation of the existing system, so you will have opportunities to work on a greenfield system that conforms to AWS' standards.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Post-graduate degree in Computer Science or related field
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 4+ years of software development experience in at least one modern object oriented programming language such as Java, Python, Ruby, C++ or C#, including object-oriented design
- Knowledge of full life-cycle software engineering practices including coding standards, testing, source control management, and operations
- Demonstrated ability to take a project or significant feature from concept to launch
- Experiencing mentoring junior software development engineers and driving engineering excellence
- Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming