Infrastructure Services is responsible for providing cost-effective management and supply of IT operations to core government ministries, program managers and government employees. Infrastructure Services is also responsible for understanding the business objectives, future directions and unique requirements of the programs it supports.
Infrastructure Services provides services to core government ministries, several Crown corporations and broader public sector organizations, and over 40,000 government employees. In support of government objectives to lower costs and improve service delivery, these clients have formed a partnership with Information Technology Services to receive reliable and cost-effective services for the benefit of the citizens and businesses they serve across British Columbia.
The Server Administrator provides technical support for VMware virtualization environments and services. This includes a full range of technical services e.g. maintaining hypervisor operating systems, acquiring and installing software, managing and maintaining layered products, acquiring, installing and upgrading hardware and platform automation initiatives.
This role provides testing, implementation, maintenance and operational support within the hosted virtual infrastructure.
60% Installs, configures, maintains and initiates problem resolution for hardware, operating system software, and layered products within the VMware infrastructure:
- executes automated performance reporting routines; analyses reports to identify resource shortages or excessive utilization;
- monitors reports; identifies problems including I/O sub-system; repairs, replaces or reconfigures as required; refers non-platform specific problems to other systems personnel or vendors;
- provides support with patch set development and testing;
- maintain operating system currency through applying approved patch sets and updates;
- implements utilities for security reporting and data recovery procedures and utilities for applications and databases;
- provides an interface between customer technical staff and vendors support staff;
- implements operating system modifications; tunes and configures operating system software to accommodate new layered product versions;
- diagnoses, resolves problems/ issues/ incidents from customers and other information systems staff;
- liaises with application support staff to determine optimal system performance, configuration, stability requirements and confirm licensing for dedicated servers;
- monitors industry/ vendor advisories; recommends upgrades/ replacements to SW and HW;
- assists in evaluating new HW configurations and provides recommendations to team lead; and
- Investigates potential threats; proposes solutions and implements for security counter-measures to team leads.
30% Participates in server infrastructure systems projects for clients:
- analyses platform performance and customer forecasts; identifies potential capacity issues and upgrade requirements; recommends upgrades/ enhancements;
- tests the compatibility of all products with new or revised platform environments; researches options for elimination, replacement or alternate products;
- identifies requirements for licensing changes
10% Performs other related duties as required (e.g. provides 1st level platform and service support for internal and external clients.
Education and Experience
- University degree in Computing Science and 2 years of related experience; or Diploma and 3 years of related experience; Certificate or program completion, or some course work, and 4 years of related experience; or 5 years of related experience;
- Technical support experience with VMware vSphere and VMware Horizon ( prefer vSphere version 6.x or newer and Horizon 7.x or newer); and
- Experience in working in small high performing teams.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic knowledge of ITIL framework (change management, incident management etc);
- Knowledge of IT project management methodologies;
- Knowledge of VMware solutions and technologies (vSphere, NSX, vRealize Automation, Horizon)
- 2+ years of experience working in a large enterprise environment (> 5,000 users / > 200 servers), multiple datacenters.
- Specialized (1+ years) in supporting/maintaining the following:
- vSphere core components (ESXi, vCenter, PSC)
- VMware Horizon
- vRealize Suite
- vCloud Suite
- Knowledge IT security best practices and methodologies; and
- Knowledge of technical standards in an enterprise environment.
- Basic knowledge of scripting and automation development practices,
- Basic knowledge of public cloud services (Azure, AWS, Google).
- Ability to work in a high pressure environment while demonstrating excellent judgment and applying sound problem solving and analytical skills.
- May be required to work overtime; and
- May be required to work standby or on call.
Employment Type: Full time, Regular
Union/Non-Union: Union - BCGEU
Salary Grid Level: Level 21, Salary Schedule 2
Annual Salary: $64,499.66 - $73,452.30
Office Location: Victoria, British Columbia