Infrastructure Services is responsible for providing cost-effective management and supply of IT operations to core government ministries, program managers and government employees. Infrastructure Services is also responsible for understanding the business objectives, future directions and unique requirements of the programs it supports.
Infrastructure Services provides services to 19 core government ministries, several Crown corporations and broader public sector organizations, and over 30,000 government employees. In support of government objectives to lower costs and improve service delivery, these clients have formed a partnership with Information Technology Services to receive reliable and cost-effective services for the benefit of the citizens and businesses they serve across British Columbia.
Linux Hosting provides delivery and support to the BC Government’s hosting infrastructure on the Linux server platform. Linux Hosting provisions infrastructure services, including maintaining and enhancing the stability of the physical server hosting infrastructure and Linux platform server management support.
60% Installs, configures, maintains and initiates problem resolution for hardware, operating system software, network software, and layered products:
- executes automated performance reporting routines; analyses reports to identify resource shortages or excessive utilization;
- monitors reports; identifies problems including I/O sub-system; repairs, replaces or reconfigures as required; refers non-platform specific problems to other systems personnel or vendors;
- provides support with patch set development and testing;
- maintain operating system currency through applying approved patch sets and updates;
- implements utilities for security reporting and data recovery procedures and utilities for applications and databases;
- provides an interface between customer technical staff and vendors support staff/ network carriers for the resolution of network or application problems;
- implements operating system modifications; tunes and configures operating system software to accommodate new layered product versions;
- diagnoses, resolves problems/ issues escalated by customers and other information systems staff;
- participates in the implementation, backup and recovery of databases with DBAs;
- liaises with application support staff to determine optimal system performance, configuration, stability requirements and confirm licensing for dedicated servers;
- monitors industry/ vendor advisories; recommends upgrades/ replacements to SW and HW;
- assists in evaluating new HW configurations and provides recommendations to team lead; and
- Investigates potential threats; proposes solutions and implements for security counter-measures to team leads.
30% Participates in server infrastructure systems projects for clients:
- analyses system performance and customer forecasts; identifies potential capacity issues and upgrade requirements; recommends upgrades/ enhancements;
- tests the compatibility of all products with new or revised server environments; researches options for elimination, replacement or alternate products;
- identifies requirements for licensing changes; and
- installs, configures HW, SW and network components and coordinates with other groups.
10% Performs other related duties as required (e.g. provides 1st level applications support for ministry and LAN administrators, security officers, WEB masters, and workstation support technicians).
Education and Experience
- University degree in Computing Science and 2 years of related experience; or Diploma and 3 years of related experience; Certificate or program completion, or some course work, and 4 years of related experience; or 5 years of related experience;
- Technical support experience with LINUX ( prefer Red Hat Enterprise version 6 or newer); and
- Experience in working in small teams.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic knowledge of ITIL framework (change management, incident management etc);
- Knowledge of IT project management methodologies;
- Knowledge of LINUX networking protocols;
- Knowledge IT security best practices and methodologies; and
- Knowledge of technical standards in an enterprise environment.
- May be required to work overtime; and
- May be required to work standby or on call.
All Advanced Solutions employees are required to display the following competencies:
- Customer Focus
- Integrity and Trust
- Ethics and Values
- Motivating Others
- Drive for Results
- Building Effective Teams
- Priority Setting
- Decision Quality
- Business Acumen