Are we right for you...
We're passionate about people and creating sustainable, safe and affordable public transit solutions to residents across BC. We are an organization that has a people-first approach and considers people first in every business decision that we make. We are part of the solution and what we do matters; from fighting climate change with battery electric buses, to affordability through cost effective transportation, to connecting remote communities, we bring the heart, soul and innovation to public transportation.
It's an exciting time to be in public transportation sector and we're looking for a creative and passionate leader to join our team. Not only would you be joining an engaged organization but you'd also get to enjoy flexible work arrangements, extended benefits and a pension plan as just a few of the benefits BC Transit employees are eligible for. Keep reading to find out if this role is meant for you! What you'll be doing...
The Senior Technical Specialist - Smart Bus performs a variety of functions within our IT Division that supports both the technical and business objectives related to BC Transit's Smart Bus initiatives and sustainment, including but not limited to:
- Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL)
- Automated Passenger Counters (APC)
- Closed Circuit Television security system (CCTV)
- Mobile Fare Technology
This position is a senior member of the team responsible for the system administration and sustainment of bus onboard technologies, operational processes, and the related hardware on BC Transit's fleet of vehicles.
The work of the Smart Bus team impacts BC Transit staff from multiple business units, operating contractors, and vendors and is responsible for implementing new public-facing services; as a result, the Senior Technical Specialist must possess superior customer service and communication skills, while applying prioritization, negotiation, and organizational capabilities to ensure the consistent availability of Smart Bus services. The Senior Technical Specialist also provides leadership and guidance to staff, vendors and stakeholders, particularly around support processes, procedures, and policies. What you'll bring to the table...
We love lifelong learners! We've found people with the following mix of education and experience allows people to be successful in this role:
What we'll bring to the table...
- Training in formal information service or project management frameworks
- Proven and recurring success in the Information Technology and Project Management fields
- Knowledge of transit technologies, such as AVL, APC and CCTV or similar systems
- Sustained success in providing strategic direction to coordinate and manage work with internal departments, contractors and vendors cross functionally
- Demonstrated understanding of how to efficiently build, maintain and support an information systems environment
- Strong understanding of network concepts including Wi-Fi, routers, switches, firewall, VPN appliances
- An understanding of information security tools and best practices
- Ability to identify and proactively resolve network/server problems using centrally managed toolsets
- Experience creating and/or managing procurement and operational contracts
What next steps could look like...
- Comprehensive medical and dental benefits to support you and your family, regardless of what life throws at you
- Membership in a "gold plated" defined benefit pension plan, meaning it's the best in the Province and one of the best in the country; putting you in a strong position when it comes time to retire
- Access to fitness and lifestyle centers to help you take care of your physical fitness and health
- Various programs that support employees such as an Employee Assistance Program and health and wellness initiatives and events aimed at fostering your mental health
- A complimentary employee bus pass (plus two taxable dependent passes)
- A corporate learning and development program to help you in continuous career growth
- An employee recognition program where we all recognize each other's successes (not just your Leaders!)
- A social club that gives you access to events throughout Victoria
Screening calls may take place on July 4th - 6th, with interviews conducted on from July 12th - 15th
An eligibility list for similar future full time regular and temporary full time vacancies may be established
The position requires the competition of a Criminal Record Check or Vulnerable Sector Search
If you have a disability which requires accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you
BC Transit is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities. If the organization identifies this position as a reasonable accommodation for an existing employee, all candidates will be notified as soon as reasonably possible.
Click here to apply! Images Additional Info
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level, Senior Level
Software and Programming