Senior Technical Product Manager
Location: Remote (BC only), BC, CA
Job Function: Facilities and Technical Overview:
BCLC's two offices are located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Indian Band), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples in Vancouver and the Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc territory, situated within the Secwépemc Nation in Kamloops. We honour and respect the people, the territory, and the land we are part of.
Our Operations Division manages both provincial & national lottery games as well as instant lotteries through over 3000 retail partners across the province. We provide the gaming technology and set standards, policies & procedures across 37 casino properties in BC, ensuring a high standard of security and integrity.
We also provide online gambling through Playnow.com and our Lotto app including lottery, sports betting, Bingo, Keno, online slots or online casino games and Live Dealer table games where players can choose the online version of their favorite games while connecting with others across the province. Our Operations group is what makes it all happen, through day to day operations, project improvements, sales management, facilities, business intelligence and innovation.
This team of passionate professionals with a diverse array of backgrounds is directly accountable for earning revenue for the province. They work together as one group to ensure clear direction for BCLC's priorities across all our lines of business, ensuring a high degree of player experience and entertainment in each of the games we offer.
As a Crown Corporation that earns more than a billion dollars in annual revenue, BCLC's commitment to giving funds back to the province is an integral part of our business, but still only one piece of the picture. At BCLC, we exist to generate win-wins for the greater good. We believe everything we do must benefit the well-being of all involved. Through our Social Purpose we aspire to make sure, in all of our endeavours and transactions and relationships nobody loses, and every person we touch comes out ahead. BCLC is committed to creating a welcoming workplace where everyone feels safe, included, and valued. For us, that means building a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We all are winners when differences are respected, valued and celebrated. Job Summary:
Embedded within the Retail Infrastructure and Product Management team the Senior Technical Product Manager translates business concepts into technical realities and technologies into business concepts. They align and negotiate with capabilities managers, business leadership, and business technology directors to ensure the product team's roadmaps come to life. As a respected leader the SeniorTechnical Product Manager engages vendors and internal teams to deliver to BCLC needs and standards.
Working across Lottery/Retail agile delivery teams, the Senior Technical Product Manager acts as a senior technical resource in the area of technology/service architecture, infrastructure design and delivery, translating business and technical requirements into enterprise system solutions by defining and developing technical solution architectures and functional/non-functional designs for the Retail Product Team and their corresponding Agile Teams. The Senior Technical Product Manager partners with diverse stakeholders on delivering enterprise system solutions, including Senior Manager, Retail Infrastructure and Product Management Retail Product Owners, Enterprise Architects, Agile Team Solutions Engineers, business stakeholders, vendors, as well as a variety of technical and business subject matter experts.
The Senior Technical Product Manager collaborates with product owners to facilitate technology service responsibilities and priorities within the delivery teams by identifying key workflows, supporting inter-team communication, cooperation and process adoption throughout the solution delivery lifecycle. The role acts as the core technical resource for the Retail Product Managers. Key Accountabilities:
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Leverages their unique blend of technical and business understanding to identify key opportunities to improve products and internal or external customer experience.
- Leads issue resolution across product managers, product owners, agile teams, subject matter experts, vendors and project managers.
- Operates as the key resource for Product Managers to collaborate with to determine technical aspects of their roadmaps, and drives a technically cohesive plan that achieves business goals across product teams. Leads forward thinking on the product team to get more out of our existing technologies by effectively sharing what is feasible and viable with our current tech stack and teams. Ties this technical understanding to desirable experiences for players, retailers or internal stakeholders.
- Effectively communicates the technical product story across all retail lines of business to Executives, Directors, and other leaders in the organization as needed. Similarly, is able to effectively translate the business product story for technical managers in the organization.
- Act as a senior technical resource in the area of technology/service architecture, translates business requirements and provide technical and impact analysis to deliver complex enterprise system solutions. Utilizes industry-standard approaches and design patterns and a deep understanding of enterprise systems and their integration points.
- Identifies opportunities and leads new approaches to technical work and broader issues resolution. Proactively stays up to date on current and future technologies, trends, and methodologies and acts as a thought leader in the technology space across teams.
- Ensures technical solutions are aligned with the overall Enterprise Architecture Principles, Strategy, Roadmaps, and that they are implemented in adherence with designs. Similarly works in the business to ensure that infrastructure and product delivery roadmaps and plans reflect technical realities and best practices.
- Acts with OneBCLC in mind prioritizing strategic organizational initiatives over individual product features and roadmap items. Documents and communicates technical solutions using agreed upon standard documentation processes.
- When applicable secures and manages resources necessary to deliver the product, including the engagement of specialists across the organization, and contracts needed to deliver the product. Develops and presents business cases for project funding, as needed.
- Facilitates cross-functional workshops to drive decisions and consensus across functional areas/agile teams. Collaborates with product owners on the prioritization of cross-team dependencies and deliverables required by other product teams or parts of the organization.
Education and Experience
- University degree in a relevant discipline or a two-year college diploma supplemented by industry recognized professional courses;
- Scrum Master, TOGAF, and other professional certifications would be an asset;
- 5-7 years experience in Information Technology in a medium to large sized environments, including a minimum of three years experience in a senior technical role;
- Experience in Information Systems: design, development, support and management;
- Software integration experience;
- Vendor management experience;
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated team leadership skills including the ability to act as a change agent to champion continuous change and improvement;
- Strong knowledge of IT infrastructure services to meet the business strategic and operational objectives;
- Demonstrated experience with complex problem solving, analytical and innovative thinking with the ability to adapt in a fast paced environment with changing priorities;
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service;
- General knowledge of cloud organizations and services (AWS and Azure) preferred;
- Ability to proactively identify and communicate complex issues and demonstrate innovative thinking;
- Exceptional organizational skills, written and oral communication skills including presentation skills and strong listening skills;
- Exceptional time management and multi-tasking skills;
- Team player with intermediate to expert skills in facilitating and encouraging team collaboration;
- Understanding of Agile methodologies a plus;
- Understanding of B.C. gaming industry is an asset.
- Effective November 22, 2021, BCLC requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with BCLC unless a legal exemption is obtained.
- To build a rich diverse workforce representing the communities which we serve, we welcome applications from people of all colours and cultures, persons with diverse abilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQAI+ community.
- BCLC values work life balance and offers remote work options for its employees.
- Relocation assistance is available for successful job candidates.
- If you are in need of accommodation or special assistance at any step of your application, please send an email with your request to email@example.com.
- For over more than a decade, we have been recognized as one of BC's Top Employers - and we are constantly seeking ways to improve our employee and player experience. To learn more about BCLC, please visit: https://corporate.bclc.com/
This opportunity will remain open until a qualified candidate pool has been established.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada and be 19 years of age to work at BCLC.
Operations and Logistics