August 30, 2021
Teck is looking for a highly motivated and experienced Senior Structural Geologist to assist Teck Advanced Projects and Operation efforts . This position will be based in Teck's Corporate Head Office in Vancouver, BC, Canada . Reporting to the Principal Structural Geologist, the Senior Structural Geologist is part of a multi-disciplinary team that provides geoscience guidance and support to Teck's Geoscience Services in exploration and mining. Key responsibilities include integrating, analyzing, interpreting, and 3D modeling of multi-disciplinary datasets for resource estimation, exploration targeting, and geotechnical and geological domaining.
The successful candidate will demonstrate effective in-field and desktop expertise in defining regional- to deposit-scale fold and fault geometries within a variety of complexly deformed environments. The individual will be a recognized structural geoscience leader who combines the highest technical standards with strong work ethic, collaboration, and mentorship skills to foster geoscience integration across technical disciplines at Teck's brownfield and greenfield sites. There will be varying amounts of domestic and international travel to project sites required. Responsibilities
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures at Teck.
- Implement, demonstrate, and maintain Teck's commitment to health, safety, environmental and community (HSEC) protection as a core value.
- Provide technical support and coordination of resources to achieve leading practice geoscience data acquisition, validation, analysis, and modeling.
- Perform in-depth analysis and advanced 3D modeling of multi-disciplinary data sets to support resource/reserve estimation, resource expansion, and geotechnical and geometallurgical initiatives at Teck's advanced exploration and mining operations.
- Ensure the geology and resource potential of specific projects are well understood through the integration, analysis and interpretation of geoscience data and the creation of geological models to inform decision making.
- Identify and apply practical geoscience solutions to increase operational effectiveness and foresee development project challenges/opportunities.
- Provide technical guidance and support to Teck projects through conducting regular site visits and interacting with key project stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively with geoscience, resource/reserve estimation and engineering professionals to support resource expansion initiatives.
- Work with Teck's Operations, Business Units, Exploration and Corporate Development groups to identify and unlock technical opportunities at Teck's operations and exploration projects. This includes, but is not limited to, participation in commercial opportunity evaluations and working with corporate technology groups.
- MSc or PhD degree with a focus on structural geology required.
- Eligibility for professional designation in British Columbia.
- A minimum of8 years industry experience including exploration and/or mine geology experience.
- Strong technical knowledge and experience of one or more ore deposit styles: Porphyry Cu-(Au, Mo) systems, Skarn, Sediment-hosted massive sulphide, Carbonate-hosted Pb-Zn and/or Coal deposits.
- Extensive geological and structural field and mine mapping experience in a variety of geologically complex, polyphase deformed environments.
- Experience in the validation, analysis, interpretation, integration and modelling of large, integrated geoscience datasets. Familiarity with database software considered an asset.
- Proficient with one or more 3D modelling software packages, with experience in Leapfrog Geo being an asset.
- Exposure to geotechnical engineering principals.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills and an ability to prepare technical reports and presentations to assist senior management in decision-making. Spanish language skills will be considered as an advantage.
- Motivated self-starter who can thrive as an independent worker and in team settings.
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to motivate and inspire others, to share ownership and responsibility for project outcomes, and to work effectively in collaborative, interdisciplinary teams.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Committed to high health and safety standards in the workplace.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person'sunique perspective and contribution. Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK. Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.
#L1-JW1 Job Segment:
Engineer, Geology, Database, Coal Mining, Engineering, Mining, Technology