Senior Software Development Manager - AWS IoT Team
Are you interested in building a multifaceted product that leverages multiple AWS products and technology platforms to provide a ground breaking service for industrial customers?
AWS Internet of Things (IoT) Device Software. If you are fascinated by the endless possibilities unlocked when the power of cloud and ubiquitous connected devices are combined - from interactive smart buildings, autonomous mines, self-monitoring medical devices, precision agriculture and more, we have the right role for you.
IoT refers to a system of physical devices, from cars, light bulbs, sensor grids and more, that connect to the Internet. There will be 50 billion connected devices in 2020 if current trends continue, and any powered device can become connected.
In this position, you will play a pivotal role in defining our technical direction, building a strong development organization, maintaining operational excellence through a strong devops culture, and championing the needs of our customers. Given the breadth of the service, this role will require coordination across many internal and external teams. You'll work with our customers, partners, ISVs, and operational stakeholders to understand and prioritize roadmap features, dive into technical challenges, and resolve emergent issues.
The successful candidate will have exceptional problem solving skills, strong business judgment, and demonstrated experience leading cross-functional teams. We are looking for a proven ability to execute both strategically and tactically, and someone who is excited to take on new, ambiguous projects that will be industry defining.
We have a need for a Software Development Manager who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. This individual will have the responsibility to:
• Drive project initiatives to deliver robust and scalable solutions toward this vision, incorporate in new technologies as appropriate.
• Build relationships with Development Managers, Engineers and Technical Project Managers across various AWS service teams.
• Own, oversee, and delegate the design, architecture, development, testing, deployment, and delivery of large-scale global software systems, platforms, services or technologies.
• Using Agile project management methodologies provide technical leadership and project management for all aspects of the software development lifecycle (SDLC) that leverage Object Oriented design (OOD), distributed programming and Java.
• Build, manage, and develop world-class engineers including hiring recommendations and guide and mentor engineers and project managers within and outside of the team.
• Ensure high quality design reviews which meet business and architectural goals and drive critical feedback on architecture and design issues.
• Oversee resource allocation to ensure appropriate business and staff development goals are met.
• Participate in strategic planning to achieve technical and business with team, leadership chain, and with customersBASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience
• 9+ years of Software Development experience including design patterns, data structures, test driven development utilizing C++, Java, or Java Script
• 5+ years experience managing software development teams and experience managing managers (leader of leaders).PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• 5+ years of software development experience as a manager
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
• A deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping software on time
• Experience with the SCRUM methodology for agile software development preferred
• Experience designing software architectures for scalability, reliability and performance
• A passion for people management and mentorship
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Deep hands-on technical expertise in cloud based distributed software design and development, more so using AWS services
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Software and Programming