Are you a Software Engineer with a passion for building great experiences? Are you looking for an opportunity to make a big impact in a company with a global impact and a startup culture?
Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking Amazon device designed to respond to your voice commands and queries. We're building solutions and applications behind Alexa products and services to directly bring joy to people's day to day lives. We're working hard, having fun, and making history. Come join our team!
The Alexa home security team is focused on bringing Alexa customers peace of mind, safety, and security about their households and loved ones. We build Alexa features such as Alexa Guard and integration with smart devices, such as contact/motion sensors, cameras, security systems, etc.
About Alexa Guard:
Alexa can help keep your home safe when you're away with Alexa Guard-just say, "Alexa, I'm leaving" to activate Guard. When you enable Guard, Alexa can send you Smart Alerts about the sound of glass-breaking, smoke detectors, or carbon monoxide alarms detected in your home. Alexa can also intuitively turn lights on and off to help deter intruders using Away Lighting and can integrate with alarm systems from Ring and ADT to keep your home safe.
As a key member of the Alexa home security team you will be an innovator, playing a direct role in shaping and building products that customers love on top of Amazon's technology. You will be part of a strong team in a fast-paced, start-up like environment where agile development is embraced and innovation is encouraged. At Amazon, every engineer has the opportunity to positively impact millions of customers and you will be called on to identify and realize these opportunities. And, you will have the satisfaction of working on a product your friends and family can relate to, and want to use every day. This is a rare opportunity to have a giant impact on the way people live.
The ideal candidate is passionate about smart home and has a demonstrable track record of success in delivering new features and products. You take pragmatic and iterative approach to building software: you have an ability to simplify and get things done, love experimentation and rapid iterations on the new concepts. You are focused, thoughtful leader of your team who works effectively with external and internal partners. You are highly quantitative, have great judgment and passion for building a great customer experience.
Other responsibilities include:
• Leading development and maintenance of key system features
• Work with other team members to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology and evaluate technical feasibility
• Work in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules
• Establish architectural principles, select design patterns and then mentor team membersBASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• BS in Computer Science, or equivalent background in data structures, algorithms, object-oriented design and systems architecture.
• 7+ years professional experience building and operating scalable distributed systems across the full software life-cycle including design, implementation, testing, operations, and maintenance.
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Fluency in one or more modern programming languages such as Java, C# or C++.
• Hands-on experience across front-end user interfaces, business logic, and data tiers.
• Experience serving as technical lead, including mentorship of more junior software developers.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience designing internet-scale public APIs.
• Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
• Comfortable presenting to senior management, business stakeholders, and external partners.
• Experience defining and championing best practices across a software team.
• Ability to take a project from requirements gathering and design to actual product launch
• Experience building systems or products that leverage machine learning.
• Knowledge of Alexa
• Most of all: enthusiasm, creativity, and inventiveness! You will be asked to find new ways to solve challenging problems every day
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Software and Programming