AWS customers have come to rely on our track record of stellar operational performance. Our team ensures that the quickly expanding number and scale of services are able to deliver that reliability promise.
Amazon Web Services is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to drive the long-term technical vision of our world-class Safety Engineering group. We analyze trends and build software used across AWS to reduce recurrence, duration, and size of customer impacting events.
As a Sr. Engineer in AWS Safety Engineering, you will drive a large-scale initiatives that automate the incident and problem management process for all of AWS.
What You Will Do:
• Architect, design, implement, support, and evaluate secure, operational safety focused tools and services including project leadership roles
• Drive an environment of continuous improvement and world-class efficiency
• Challenge conventional thinking; create innovative paths forward
• Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions
• Work cross-functionally with other teams to continually improve operational readiness and availability
• Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, make trade-offs, and encourage risk-taking to maximize business benefit
• Evaluate and recommend new and emerging products and technologies
• Drive operation excellence in your organization.
As a senior technical individual contributor you will join the ranks of a large and growing community of senior engineers who are redefining how distributed systems are scaled and operated. You will help establish technical standards and drive Amazon's overall technical architecture and engineering practices. You'll work on Amazon's hardest problems, building high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
• 5+ years experience building successful production software systems
• A solid grounding in Computer Science fundamentals (based on a Bachelors or Masters of Science in CS or related field)
• Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
• Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Go-lang, Ruby, Scala, etc
• Excellent written and verbal communication, analytical and collaborative problem-solving skills
• Comfortable working across multiple teams and organizations
• Strong sense of ownership and drivePREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Understanding of CI/CD and Agile software engineering practices
• Substantial background in support for large scale application implementations.
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Experience in communicating with executives to describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience mentoring software engineers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming