Ballard has a regular full-time position available for a Senior Research Scientist or Engineer
at our Burnaby location. Reporting to Electrodes Manager, Research, the successful candidate will work within the Electrodes Team and cross-functionally with research scientists and engineers to conduct fundamental research studies and develop new material and design concepts.Responsibilities:
- Design and conduct experimental studies to advance fuel cell catalyst technology
- Deliver improved understanding and new material and design concepts to meet next generation product requirements
- Working within the Research team, maintain and enhance functional excellence in the area of PEM membrane electrode assembly (MEA) components technology, including development of intellectual property and technical know-how
- Support and interact with other research, product development, and processing teams as required to solve technical problems and support injection of new technologies into Ballard products
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of, critically analyze, and summarize relevant fuel cell literature
- Lead collaborative work with universities and supervise students
- Analyze, interpret and summarize chemical and electrochemical data
- Troubleshoot instrument and equipment problems
- Technology leadership experience
- Degree - post graduate preferred - in Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Physical Chemistry or relevant Engineering field
- 5 - 10 years' experience working in an electrochemistry lab with strong lab skills
- Knowledge of chemistry, nanomaterials science & technology.
- Familiarity with catalyst synthesis, characterization, and testing of catalysts for Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM) fuel cells PEMFCs is an asset.
- Industry experience is an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organization and problem solving skills
- Proven ability to work quickly and reliably while under pressure
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
Management and Executive