Powertech Labs Inc, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Substations, Power Systems, Grid Modernization and Advanced Transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company's staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused: To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
Provides project leadership to large, complex projects. Prepares major test reports, project proposals and business development studies.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Provides project leadership on large, complex testing and research projects through planning, organizing, coordinating and executing activities encompassing testing, analysis, investigations, research and development including the application of advanced concepts and technological principles.
- Prepares and writes reports for large, complex projects incorporating results, interpretations and conclusions.
- Prepares technical documentation requirements such as major test reports, project proposals and business development studies.
- Provides input into and developing technical papers and reports.
- May act as a work leader for and performs some of the same duties as one or more employees performing level 11 technical work.
- Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties which do not affect the rating of the job; this includes the performance of duties across disciplines in a job of the same or lower job group.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required
- Excellent working knowledge of analysis and testing procedures for electrical components and equipment, with a working knowledge in mechanical or chemical.
- Excellent working knowledge in how to apply failure analysis testing to electrical components and equipment.
- Excellent knowledge of operation, manufacturing processes, machining and related construction techniques for electrical components and equipment.
- Excellent working knowledge of how to calibrate, maintain and repair electrical testing instrumentation and equipment and apply accepted testing standards.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent working knowledge of how to interpret and adapt and train other on a variety of laboratory testing procedures.
- Excellent working knowledge of electrical testing and analysis procedures, testing standards and quality assurance principles.
- Ability to modify existing test methods to perform unique tests or achieve different results.
- Excellent knowledge of related testing standards and procedures.
- Be recognized within the industry as a technical expert.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Excellent team leadership skills.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Good marketing skills.
- Good knowledge of related safety and WHMIS regulations.
- Basic knowledge of MS Office applications.
Experience, Training and Education
- National Diploma of Technology from an Institute of Technology in electrical and 12 years of related experience.
- National Diploma in Electrical required; Power Option is highly desirable for this position in the High Voltage Lab.
- Experience in testing transmission, distribution, and substation equipment highly desirable.
- Experience in high voltage cable and dielectric testing is highly desirable.
- Additional Certificate of Technology in mechanical or chemical is an asset.
- Excellent trouble shooting skills are required.
- Proficiency in instrumentations is required.
- This role is based in the High Voltage Laboratory and will also include field testing of electrical equipment.
- Must be able to work in confined space.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work at heights > 10 feet.
- Travel within Canada and some international travel required.
- Must have a valid class 5 driver’s license.
- Must be able to perform all physical requirements of the role.
Job ID: SPS2018.38B
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
Compensation & Benefits: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package and includes medical, dental, generous time off and pension.
Close Date: January 31, 2019
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
To apply and to learn more about Powertech Labs Inc., visit our website at https://www.powertechlabs.com/careers/
Posted: December 19, 2018
Closes: January 31, 2019