Closing Date: June 1, 2022
Reporting to the Senior Geoscientist, the Senior Project Geoscientist is responsible for managing a single, large, and complex helicopter supported mineral exploration program. Duties primarily pertain to assisting in the design, planning, budgeting, and implementation of field programs as well as assisting with the advancement of the project through the project stages.Responsibilties
- Manages all on-the-ground aspects of the field programs, including logistics, contractor management, community relations, reporting, drilling and other technical surveys
- Prepare comprehensive technical reports, integrating all elements of the project into a concise summary of the project results and potential value to the company
- In conjunction with supervisor, develop and refine exploration techniques, concepts, programs, and approaches
- Lead the project team in understanding of and compliance of EHS policies and management systems as guided by the Charter of Corporate Responsibility, the Code of Business, Environmental and Health and Safety Practices and the EHS Management Standards
- Supervise Project Geoscientists, Geoscientists, and contractors to ensure quality and safety standards are met
- Synthesize geoscience data, present and report results on interim and project completion basis
- Keep abreast of any new developments within the region including industry, government, and academic activities. Report all material exploration results and on significant local events that could impact the Company's business
- Seeks ways to continuously improve business operations by refining practices, eliminating barriers, taking action to improve processes and mitigating problems that interrupt production
- Understands how to set goals and prioritize tasks to achieve business results
- Demonstrates business logic when making decisions; gathers input and makes decisions based on cost benefit analysis
- Encourages entrepreneurship, looks at creative and innovative ways to add value, looking at new ways of approaching work and improving efficiencies
- Identifies necessary change and evaluates opportunities based on long term objectives and leads a collaborative process inspiring clear vision for the future
- Promotes the company's commitment to sustainability, the environment, health, and safety, leads by example, and demonstrates honesty and sincerity and openness to feedback. Builds a culture of teamwork across all constituents and stakeholders and encourages cooperation and open communication
- Fosters a culture of open communication, focuses on building relationships across the organization and with external and internal partners, and invest in developing talent within the organization by providing recognition, challenge, and mentorship
- Promotes a culture of safety leadership by ensuring that work is conducted in accordance with Teck's health & safety policies and practices; the principles of Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment and Risk Mitigation
- Continuously seeks opportunities to recognize health and safety hazards and works to manage associated risks in the workplace
- Takes courageous decisions to stop or defer work if health and safety conditions are deemed unsatisfactory
- Proactively resolves or seeks support as appropriate to resolve safety hazards and issues
- Develops, documents, and delivers hazard and risk assessments and emergency response plans as required
- Reports lead and lag indicators of health and safety activities/conditions/incidents using appropriate corporate systems and tools
- Completes required government or legislative documentation relevant to safety activities/conditions/incidents as needed
- Understands Teck's philosophy and approach to working with communities
- Utilizes SMART tools & techniques, proactively identifies community issues/opportunities, and seeks early involvement of community specialist as appropriate.
- A minimum of 8 or more years of industry experience and a post-secondary degree in geoscience or engineering is required
- Working knowledge and technical competence with major ore deposit types in the region and exploration methods from deposit to regional scale
- Working knowledge of various stages of the exploration life cycle from early-stage exploration to advanced projects and/or mine site experience
- Ability to work effectively at a variety of scales and ability to guide field activities and evaluations at continent, district, or deposit scales
- Advanced written and oral English language is required
- Critical and conceptual thinking and problem-solving skills
- Experience in organizing and mobilizing resources
- Vision and strategy, Innovative thinking
- Performance management, planning, and control
- Commercial and business acumen
- Ability to lead, develop and manage a team
- Ability to travel within the region as required.
- Excellent communication, facilitation and interpersonal skills and experience working with a broad range of people
- Results oriented with excellent organizational, planning, program management and decision-making skills
- Demonstrates experience of effectively leading and managing people and teams as well as influencing change
- High degree of initiative, self-motivation, accountability, and independent judgment
- Solutions focused with a commitment to respectful, inclusive, and sustainable community development
- Understands the needs of the business, focuses on priorities by setting goals, determining timelines, delegating resources, and measuring results
- Visualizes future potential opportunities and anticipates risks
- Understands how to get things done through formal channels, utilizing key practices, policies, and procedures to achieve objectives.
- Pursues everything with energy, empowers others, and shares ownership and accountability for project outcomes.
- Focuses on outcome and completion of all tasks and assignments.
- Can identify learning and performance gaps in others and is effective in coaching and developing others
- Can analyze data and uses logical methods to solve problems.
- Creates focus on priorities, sets objectives and goals, measures performance and evaluates results.
- Keeps confidence with others and is truthful and direct.
- Is receptive to feedback and takes conscious approach to learn and improve.
- Can manage one's own time, sets clear objectives and monitors progress and results. Is aware of personal limitations and seeks ways to improve, is aware of how actions affect others.
- Sets a good example, can teach and lead others in how to achieve goals.
- Exercises good listening skills and clearly communicates outcomes with others. Uses concise language to eliminate ambiguity.
- Can establish positive rapport with others and is effective in managing relationship through openness, honesty, and cooperation.
- Collaborates with others to develop new ideas and shares responsibility in project deliverables.
Successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against infection by COVID-19. Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a personal characteristic protected under applicable human rights legislation may request to be exempt from this requirement. We will do our best to accommodate those who are unable to be vaccinated.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck's approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2020, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eleventh straight year, indicating that Teck's sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world's 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources Job Segment:
Engineer, Social Media, Program Manager, Sustainability, Engineering, Marketing, Mining, Management, Energy