Senior Programmer Analyst
Location: Kamloops, BC, CA
Job Function: Information Technology Overview:
BCLC's two offices are located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Indian Band), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples in Vancouver and the Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc territory, situated within the Secwépemc Nation in Kamloops. We honour and respect the people, the territory, and the land we are part of.
Joining the Business Technology team at BCLC means you'll be working with cutting-edge technology to help build a world-class entertainment company. This is an engaged, innovative, capable group of talented individuals working in digital enablement, product delivery services, technology platform enablement, enterprise services, integrity and operations. This enables us to execute the purchase and validation of lottery tickets at over 3500 lottery retailers, manage a complex network of 12,000 slot machines and electronic table games across the province and provide the backbone for BCLC's eGaming platform, and much more.
We have offices in Kamloops and Vancouver and can also support 100% remote (from within British Columbia) for this position. Job Summary:
BCLC is rapidly moving to provide the best gambling experience we can - and developers play an important role in building that future. Our developers collaborate closely with teams from all over BCLC to build incredible customer-facing websites, integrations, and internal-facing tools. You'll use the latest software development tooling, and work with multiple teams at BCLC to develop the software systems that power the amazing customer experience we strive to deliver on a daily basis
The PlayNow teams develop and operate many of our customer facing internet gaming system they enable. The role is also responsible for production support of the software solutions. This includes managing the lifecycle of assigned incidents and problem resolution. As required, this role is subject to the requirement for after-hours support. Key Accountabilities:
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Developing software that powers the amazing customer experience we strive to deliver on a daily basis
- Regularly interprets and applies standards, policies and procedures and provides significant input into the development of department practices/procedures while preparing documentation for new and established systems.
- Works with vendors, and the business, as well as internal QA department on orchestrating testing and user acceptance.
- Collaborates with business, vendor partners and other IT personnel to integrate new ideas into web and mobile solutions.
- Provides effective code reviews and coaching for other team members, and may be required to take on a lead role delivering projects and enhancements.
- Collaborates with peers to resolve technical issues and makes regular suggestions for new approaches to technical work and broader issues resolution.
- Develops and maintains materials needed for operational run-state of a given solution, including creation and maintenance of knowledgebase(s) as required.
Education and Experience
- University degree in a relevant discipline or a two-year college diploma
- 3-5 years progressively responsible development experience
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
- Awareness of emerging Web technologies and the ability to apply these appropriately to fulfill business requirements;
- Sound knowledge of principles, concepts, practices and techniques in Programming languages such as: Java, SQL, web services;
- Demonstrated ability to resolve complex technical issues and demonstrate innovative thinking by recommending new approaches to technical work and broader issues resolution;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking/innovation;
- Strong computer skills - Microsoft Windows, MS office suite;
- Exceptional time management and multi-tasking skills;
- Working knowledge of Linux would be an asset.
- Understanding of B.C. gaming industry is an asset.
- Must be able to work flexible hours and provide after-hours support as needed.
For over three decades, BCLC has delivered exceptional gambling entertainment for British Columbians with the primary purpose of giving back to the province.
- Operate provincial, national and "Instant Win" in partnership with over 3500 lottery retailers across the province.
- Oversee 34 casino and community gaming centres across the province.
- Provide safe, secure and legal online gambling options including sports betting, casino style games and lottery.
In the fiscal year prior to the pandemic, we gave over $1.4 billion back to the province to support healthcare, education, community groups, and much more.
To help us achieve this goal, we aim to have the healthiest players in the world by establishing a higher standard of support with evidence-based player health programs.
To build a rich diverse workforce representing the communities which we serve, we welcome applications from people of all colours and cultures, persons with diverse abilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.
BCLC values work life balance and offers remote work options.
Relocation assistance is available for successful job candidates from outside BC.
If you are in need of accommodation or special assistance at any step of your application, please send an email with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
For over more than a decade, we have been recognized as one of BC's Top Employers - and we are constantly seeking ways to improve our employee and player experience. To learn more about BCLC, please visit: https://corporate.bclc.com/
Ready to join our team? Please Note:
This opportunity will remain open until a qualified candidate pool has been established.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada and be 19 years of age to work at BCLC.
BCLC requires all employees to be fully vaccinated from Covid-19 (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with BCLC unless a legal exemption is obtained.