Job Description Summary
The Procurement Senior Manager will oversee the acquisition of capital assets (including infrastructure, furniture and equipment) and corporate services (including external engineering, construction and maintenance). The Senior Manager will be responsible for overseeing the initiatives to source, qualify, and manage key supplier relationships and accounts pertaining to supply of capital assets and services and will use in-depth knowledge of Procurement best practices, markets, suppliers, products and their cost drivers, to negotiate terms that will maximize value and mitigate risk to the organization. The Senior Manager will engage with leaders from Corporate Affairs, Information Systems, Finance, as well as various Technical and Operational teams to develop strategies to streamline the acquisition and management of assets and services, from concept to retirement. This is a great opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues to develop STEMCELL's long-term global capital assets and corporate services strategy.Job Description Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as an ambassador of Procurement both externally as well as within STEMCELL; represent Procurement in cross-functional meetings and projects; act as a trusted advisor and subject matter expert for Procurement activities; ensure cross-functional stakeholder engagement in Procurement activities by facilitating a culture of collaboration and responsiveness to reinforce the benefits of early procurement involvement; work within the Procurement team to improve existing functions and to develop new areas of responsibility; support internal environmental sustainability as well as diversity, inclusion and equity initiatives
- Mentor and coach the Procurement Capital Assets and Services team, providing direction where required; set cascading SMART team goals and support with prioritization of work; carry out performance evaluations, pay reviews, hiring and termination; draft business cases to support capacity planning
- Create and maintain metrics program for the team through benchmarking, market and category spend analysis; routinely use analyses to showcase team achievements and identify drivers for improvements; present category updates to upper management and cross functional teams on a regular cadence;
- Successfully lead campaigns with internal stakeholders for sourcing, selection and onboarding of business partners; ensures sourcing from businesses that a) provide products or services with the highest quality and lowest cost and b) follow best practices for environmental sustainability, diversity, inclusion and equity
- Draft business proposals and project updates as required; oversee or lead execution of end-to-end RFP/RFQ processes
- Proactively identify areas of short and long-term supply risk; identify alternate sourcing strategies or prepare risk mitigation proposals to influence internal stakeholders on reducing risks to the business
- Foster a culture of cost savings focused on total cost of ownership to ensure the right level of quality goods and services are acquired
- Implement supplier relationship and contract management best practices for managing key business partners and accounts, with a focus on developing strategic partnerships rather than transactional relationships; establish routine internal and supplier-facing business reviews to monitor performance and identify improvement opportunities; draft, negotiate and manage supply or service contracts and statements of work that support internal strategic and project objectives; oversee documentation of interactions with stakeholders and business partners by ensuring the team maintains supplier performance scorecards and logs of key discussion points, actions, decisions, and risks; support the team to identify escalation paths within external organizations to facilitate issue resolution
- Masters Degree or equivalent in Business or Engineering discipline; CPM certification or extensive working on corporate projects is an asset
- Minimum 15-20 years of relevant combined experience in procurement, capital engineering, or business development; work experience should demonstrate a progression of responsibilities and knowledge, as well as progression of strategic planning and the ability to adapt to a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated proficiency in managing and reporting up, strategy development and influencing stakeholders at all levels of the organization is required
- Experience managing direct reports of varying experience required
- Capability to work effectively in multidisciplinary teams and deliver complex objectives under aggressive timelines is required
- Experience with commercial procurement laws, practices and standards is required
- Extensive experience in contract development, negotiations, management and dispute resolution is required
- Experience managing contracts for EPC/EPCM project delivery is required
- Experience in the biotechnology sector and with facility and equipment validation is an asset
- Experience with SAP transactional systems is an asset
This role requires vaccination against COVID-19 as per the current recommendations by local health authorities, including any COVID-19 boosters as recommended by local health authorities and where available.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as "Scientists Helping Scientists" - standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number. Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!
Operations and Logistics