Feb 28, 2019
Reporting to the Section Leader, Mineral Technology, Applied Research & Technology in Trail BC, the Senior Process Mineralogist is accountable for leading applied mineralogy projects, providing expert technical consulting services to sites, and building and maintaining Teck's networks internally and externally to generate orebody knowledge. The incumbent will actively participate in development of the evolving geometallurgy agenda and ongoing development of a healthy applied mineralogy project portfolio. The incumbent will lead or support teams of internal and external personnel as required to meet project objectives. The incumbent will also be a competent technical leader across the geometallurgy/process mineralogy spectrum as well as integration of mineral characterization into the entire ore body life cycle and processing of concentrates to refined metal. The incumbent should have knowledge of technology development practices, advanced data analysis, problem solving and decision management strategies, and have demonstrated critical and conceptual thinking abilities.
The position will be based at Applied Research and Technology (ART) in Trail, BC, with varying amounts of domestic and international travel as required by portfolio, project, and personal and/or personnel development needs.Responsibilities
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures.
- Lead applied mineralogy projects as a technical project manager through the stages outlined above with key success factors aligned to the project business case, including health and safety, environmental compliance, technical outcomes, schedule, cost, and quality.
- Manage and coordinate operational activities within the mineralogical laboratory, including technical staff and leadership/management roles.
- Provide both detailed and high-level consulting services to sites and project teams on issues spanning the applied mineralogy spectrum and facilitate the transfer of technical information, knowledge, and expertise to other units within Teck.
- In conjunction with others, build, maintain, and regularly access networks within and external to Teck to clarify issues and develop Teck's orebody knowledge. Stay current on leading-edge technologies associated with mineralogy through literature reviews, site visits, conferences, and regular interactions with key vendors and subject matter experts.
- Primary data collection, data processing if required, QA / QC of data and results, and interpretation of the data/results.
- The development and validation of new instruments, capabilities and techniques.
- Independent operation of analytical instrumentation available at ART, including: X-ray diffraction analysis (XRD), transmitted and reflected light microscopy, scanning electron microscope based technology, and automated (computer-controlled) mineralogical equipment, such as the Mineral Liberation Analyser (MLA).
- Responsible for the care and maintenance of the applied mineralogy analytical equipment.
- Effectively communicate key messages and recommendations through authoring of high-quality technical reports and delivery of effective presentations to all levels of the company.
- Graduate degree, with a strong preference for a post-graduate degree in Mineralogy, Geology, Environmental Mineralogy or Earth Sciences. More than ten (10) years of relevant, progressive experience, with preference to geoscience applications.
- Post-graduate experience in ore mineralogy, mineral beneficiation processes, exploration geology, and geochemistry is required.
- Demonstrated ability to learn about new fields through knowledge development and deep critical and conceptual thinking to be able to challenge the thinking of external experts.
- Experience associated with laboratory management and data integration is a prerequisite.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, specifically in English, are required. The ability to communicate in Spanish is beneficial.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and support highly-collaborative multi-disciplinary teams to deliver value and share best practices across operations and projects.
- Experienced with organizational dynamics and good conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to assess peoples' strengths and weaknesses and coach, mentor, and manage individuals for future success.
- Highly-motivated self-starter with the ability to work under minimal supervision and manage several priorities/projects simultaneously to meet firm deadlines.
- A very high technical proficiency using various types of computer software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.) is essential for this role.
- Working knowledge of geochemical databases and 3-D modelling software such as ioGAS and Leapfrog would be beneficial.
- The candidate will be a motivated technical specialist and able to work under minimal supervision.
Trail, situated in the beautiful West Kootenay region of southeastern B.C., offers an excellent quality of life, with a moderate climate, reasonably-priced housing, and a regional population of 50,000 that supports access to excellent health care and medical facilities, first-rate schools, and a regional college. The West Kootenay region offers a wide range of outstanding outdoor and indoor recreational opportunities including golf, boating, fishing, hiking, camping, biking, hockey and curling, and world-class downhill, cross-country, and back-country skiing, all at your doorstep.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc, and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck's approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck's sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world's 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources
#L1-JW1 Job Segment:
Chemistry, Geology, Medical, Consulting, Social Media, Science, Engineering, Healthcare, Technology, Marketing
- Apply Now
- Apply with LinkedIn
- Please wait...