Job Description Summary
The Senior Patent Officer will use their strong background in the life sciences and work at the forefront of the exciting research and development at STEMCELL. The successful candidate will be responsible for contributing toward STEMCELL's patent portfolio, from drafting through prosecuting patent applications related to in-house discoveries and those in-licensed from external parties.Job Description Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform due diligence, including competitor analysis, freedom to operate, patent review, technology review and valuation, market analysis, etc.
- Recommend IP protection strategies, IP licensing strategies, as well as other business strategies to Senior Management.
- Draft, prepare and file patent applications.
- Manage the prosecution of patents from in-licensed and in-house developed technologies, including reviewing and drafting responses to office actions, corresponding with external patent counsel, and strategizing appropriate patenting decisions.
- Advise on course of action in respect of potential infringement of in-house and in-licensed patents, as required, and liaise with external parties to resolve disputed patent matters.
- Provide analyses, risk assessment, and interpretation of contractual terms, liabilities, obligations, and regulations.
- Research and evaluate new business opportunities and/or new technologies in stem cell research and related fields.
- Work collaboratively with internal stakeholders to understand company inventions to be filed as patent applications and/or to facilitate their prosecution.
- Attend internal scientific data presentations with a view to assessing the patentability of new inventions.
- Undertake partnering activities with rights holder(s) of technologies relevant to the business of STEMCELL.
- Establish, manage and maintain relationships with external parties: potential and active business partners; technology transfer offices in major academic institutes worldwide etc.
- Draft, negotiate and manage various agreements as necessary, including those beyond licenses, such as supply, confidentiality, OEM, etc.
- May assist in the management of executed agreements; ensuring all contractual obligations are met in a timely manner.
- Assist other departments with various external agreements.
- Organize cross-department meetings to facilitate external contract negotiations and co-ordinate internally to implement busin ess decisions.
- Represent STEMCELL in conferences and other partnership meetings.
- Supervise/mentor junior team members.
- Graduate degree in immunology, hematology, molecular biology, biochemistry or a related life science, in a relevant life science with significant experience in research.
- At least two years experience drafting and filing patent applications, and prosecuting such applications in worldwide patent offices
- In-depth knowledge of patent regimes in key STEMCELL markets.
- Significant business development, legal, licensing, and/or patent prosecution experience and/or training (e.g. JD, MBA, CLP designation, or patent agent designation).
- Experience in contract negotiation is an asset
- Experience negotiating IP licensing agreements is preferred.
- Capacity for critical and creative thinking with attention to detail.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Highly developed project management skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as "Scientists Helping Scientists" - standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number. Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!
Management and Executive