Senior Mechanical Engineer / Bulk Material Handling: Harvey 2303
Desired Expertise: Mechanical Engineering, Industrial, Conveyors, Dust Collectors
Experience: 10+ years
Minimum Education: Bachelors / 3-5 yrs. Degree
This job description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the positionm, given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be.
It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management
- The Senior Mechanical Engineer is responsible for leading the equipment selection, layouts and integration into total project systems required for industrial and bulk material handling equipment and processes.
- This includes reviewing or preparing data and running specialty programs for conveyors and dust collection systems.
- The Senior Mechanical Engineer will lead the development of the mechanical requirements of the project phases, including conceptual, preliminary, final and operational support.
- This also includes coordinating with other discipline's design team members to accomplish project tasks.
- In addition, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will be part of the project management process, which would include working directly with the Project Manager, meeting with clients, obtaining field data, interaction with equipment vendors, participating in project meetings, establishing project standards and assisting in the development of the project design criteria.
- This also includes coordinating with and directing Engineers, Designers and Drafters to accomplish project tasks.
- Capable of handling multiple project assignments.
- Conceptual, preliminary and final design of bulk material handling systems including ship, barge, rail and truck loading and unloading systems comprised of belt conveyors, drag conveyors, bucket elevators, dust control systems and various specialty equipment components.
- Prepare quantity estimates related to industrial and bulk material handling systems
- Coordinate and direct drafters and designers in the creation of drawings.
- Interface with Project Managers, Engineers and clients.
- Assist Project Managers and design team with assembling the methodology for completing the design project effort.
- Review and check engineer's sketches and designs to ensure feasibility and compliance with client specifications, industry standards, applicable regulations and any other specification on a particular project.
- Analyze designs for efficiency of construction, use of materials, functionality and practicality of design.
- Check drawings and other documents. Verify correctness of design and engineering data to verify completeness of the documents.
- Develop or alter standard project specifications to meet specific project requirements.
- Create layouts and sketches for project systems.
- Develop project design criteria documents.
- Research, learn and implement differing design techniques which may be industry specific.
- Develop technical details and specify materials, and procedures using drawings, rough sketches, specifications and calculations.
- Assist in development of engineering proposals.
- Further develop concepts established by sales personnel.
- Be familiar with total project systems to include mechanical, structural, civil and electrical components to allow considerations of those aspects into a project or area design.
- Assemble data and run in-house programs such as Belt Analyst and Heavent.
- Review certain vendor/fabricator shop drawings.
- Maintain project files.
- Perform the necessary field work to obtain accurate information for the design.
- Attend out of office and in office project meetings.
- In some instances interface directly with Clients.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- At least ten (10) years experience with bulk material transport, storage and reclaim systems required.
- Experience selecting mechanical equipment components for bulk material handling systems including drives, bearings, pulleys, shafts, scales, and dust collection and suppression systems.
- Experience in preparation of bulk material handling and heavy plant equipment arrangement drawings using Computer Aided Drafting and Design software is required.
- Experience in directing the work of drafters or other engineering support staff.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Requires knowledge and ability to work with MS Office Suite of products (Word, Excel)
- Knowledge of drafting standards, mathematics, science, and engineering technology.
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels.
- Availability and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Availability and ability to travel to client sites on occasion.
- Availability and ability to work overtime as needed based on project.
- Interaction with other team members, as well as supervisors and client personnel.
- May be required to travel out of town on a periodic basis to obtain project field data or attend project meetings.
- Field duties may require outdoor work in a plant, facility or terminal environment.
- Working in plant and/or shop areas around production machinery with extreme noise levels.
- Must be able to wear safety equipment as required by the safety department for personal protection.
- May be at more than one job site in a day and must be able to tolerate climate changes.
Occasional overtime to include weekends as dictated by project requirements.
This is a fulltime position
Salary is open depending on experience
Benefits package available