This Designer will be working as part of a team involved in creating tooling and fixture designs for various advanced manufacturing processes. They will consult with Product Development to understand unique fuel cell stack requirements and Advanced Manufacturing to develop tooling to support their processes. This position requires the skills and competencies necessary to develop complex layout and design drawings, utilize theoretical and practical design knowledge, and apply advanced Computer Aided Design (CAD) techniques. The individual is expected to adhere to applicable CAD and design standards, as well as company policies and procedures to ensure quality documentation release.The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for working directly with Lead Designers and Manufacturing Engineers to create engineering drawings, 3D parametric models and 3D parametric assemblies.
- Responsible for the accuracy and completeness of drawings regarding clarity, fit, views, dimensioning and conformance to company/ASME Y14.5M design and drawing standards.
- Documentation release through the change management (CM2) process.
- Understanding engineering concepts and translating them to engineering design drawings.
- Participate, contribute, and lead technical design reviews.
- Working with suppliers and IQC to understand drawing callouts needed for QC and inspection.
- Reviews supplier data and supplier/manufacturer drawings, as required.
- Application and interpretation of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) to ASME standards.
- Responsible for mentoring and supporting junior designers.
- B.S., or associate degree, or diploma in mechanical technology program or related field.
- 5+ years related experience in design using three-dimensional (3D) modeling software packages required (Creo Parametric preferred).
- 8+ years in designing tooling, fixtures, or jigs for use in a production environment.
- Experience with CAD Database/PDM software. (PTC Windchill preferred)
- Experience with 3D Parametric Advanced Modeling techniques such as applying the Top-Down Design Process, Surfacing, Skeletons, Simplified Representations.
- Experience with managing complex parts, assemblies, BOMs, and drawings.
- Knowledgeable on fabrication processes and component assembly.
- Experience with fabrication methods such as milling, grinding, lathe work, threading, sheet metal, and injection molding.
- Experience with local fabricators in the BC Lower Mainland is desirable.
- Basic Geometrical Dimensioning and Tolerance (GD&T) experience (ASME standards preferred).
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and standards.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and drive design projects through to completion while self-checking for completeness and accuracy of work produced.
- Should be an energetic, motivated, and detail orientated individual with the ability to work in a team environment and independently.
- Self-starter with good decision-making skills, takes initiative to solve practical problems, and can work with a variety of variables.
- Good oral and written communication skills are essential for this role.
If you meet the above qualifications and, on a personal level, are highly creative, hardworking, achievement-focused, possess strong attention to detail, and superb communication and interpersonal skills, this opportunity may be of interest to you.
Listen & Deliver | Quality. Always. | Inspire Excellence | Row Together | Own It
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates