Job Description Summary
The Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for maintaining and improving the design and optimizing the manufacturing process for our laboratory automation systems to increase quality, maximize efficiency and reduce manufacturing and service cost. This position is integral in driving quality and value for our customers and the continuous improvement of processes within the Instrumentation Business Unit at STEMCELL Technologies.
This is an exciting opportunity to deliver advanced laboratory automation instruments to STEMCELL's new and existing customers globally. You will be part of a dynamic product development team responsible for designing, expanding and continuously driving innovation of our lab instrumentation and consumable products. As Canada's largest biotechnology company, STEMCELL Technologies Inc. provides leading edge robotic, software and reagent solutions that drive our customers' research at the forefront of science. The role provides an opportunity to contribute to product and manufacturing process design, innovation and solution provision for our customers, as well as to maintain our leadership presence in the life sciences industry.Job Description Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify opportunities, implement and manage changes to improve manufacturability and serviceability of products and increase capacity, capabilities and reduce costs using knowledge of manufacturing, assembly and verification testing processes, tooling as well as quality control standards, product and machine design, materials and parts.
- Determine root causes of failures using a systematic approach and statistical methods to recommend changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods including executing process risk assessments and making recommendations for risk mitigation.
- Recommend and implement continuous improvement methods such as lean manufacturing to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability, and margin.
- Anticipate and respond effectively to material and manufacturing bottlenecks as well as field feedback and obsolescence to maintain high manufacturing throughput.
- Design, build, validate and maintain manufacturing, service, inspection and quality control jigs and equipment.
- Lead activities to transfer instrument product designs from engineering to operations following the new product introduction process including planning, documenting and implementing processes in manufacturing to effectively and efficiently build, inspect and service instruments.
- Prepare and maintain manufacturing and service documentation according to company and Quality Management System (QMS) standards including applicable regulatory compliance as well as manufacturing processes, engineering procedures, manufacturing BOMs, test and verification protocols for design history records and technology transfer.
- Participate in early stage conceptual and detailed product design reviews providing feedback that affect the product life cycle such as manufacturing, service, troubleshooting, upgrades, forwards/backwards compatibility, and obsolescence.
- Contribute to defining the work program and technical activities schedule for improvement projects. Actively participate in brainstorming and review sessions.
- A bachelor's degree in Mechatronics, Manufacturing, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering in an appropriate field with 4+ years of relevant experience, or a Master's degree in Engineering with 3+ years of relevant experience.
- Proven experience achieving improvements in developing and implementing new processes and cost improvements as well as root cause analysis.
- Demonstrated knowledge of a range of material fabrication and finishing techniques for manufacture of complex mechanisms, jigs and testing equipment.
- Experience with diverse technologies and processes as well as lean manufacturing approaches including standard industry best practices, 3D CAD and version control of software and hardware design as well as performing FMEAs.
- Working knowledge in designing, building and testing electro-mechanical systems including the construction of cabling.
- Knowledge of automation systems is a distinct asset including: i) Robotic and linear / rotary motion control systems, ii) Sensors, detectors and actuators, iii) Liquid handling systems, pumps and flow control, and iv) Molding and tool design for low and high volume parts.
- Proven interpersonal skills to build and maintain strong, collaborative working relationships with diverse teams as well as excellent communication (oral, written, presenter). Knowledge of change management is an asset.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience in low to mid-level production volumes is an asset.
- Experience with project management and project planning experience and/or experience working with contractors is an asset.
- Experience in documentation procedures consistent with UL, CE, ISO 13485 and standards for diagnostic and pre- / clinical applications is an asset.
This role requires being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as per STEMCELL's vaccination policy, the current recommendations by local health authorities and as required by public health orders in place from time to time, including any COVID-19 boosters as recommended by local health authorities and as required by public health orders in place from time to time.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as "Scientists Helping Scientists" - standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number. Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!
Community and Social Services