Join a global professional services leader. We are committed to solving the world’s biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanization.
Our EDO (Engineering Design Organization) is looking for a dynamic and motivated individual to take on the role of Senior Geotechnical Engineer.
Reporting to the EDO BGL (Business Group Leader) and as a member of the EDO team, the successful candidate will contribute to and be responsible for all engineering aspects of multi-discipline projects in various markets and businesses. With a strong background in geotechnical engineering and inspections, and construction materials’ engineering testing, you will be passionate about helping build our EDO delivery capacity. The Geotechnical Engineer will also support projects in all of our Markets, including Water (Water/Wastewater Treatment, Linear Water, Water resources) Energy and Resources, Environmental (Solid Waste, Landfill, Contaminated Sites and Remediation), and Property and Buildings.
Responsibilities will include:
Qualifications, Skills & Competencies:
- Project management, field investigations/assessments, engineering analysis and reporting, supervision and training of engineering and technical staff
- Senior preparation and reviews of technical proposals and reports
- Review geotechnical and environmental investigation reports, technical information including technical specifications and drawings in the support of projects and proposal development
- Ensure accurate completion of project deliverables and be able to lead several projects at once and determine priorities, including sound judgement and decisiveness
- Lead, coordinate, and conduct a wide variety of site investigations and construction/materials testing and inspections related but not limited to transportation, civil municipal, waste management (e.g. landfills, transfer stations), commercial and residential development, resource industries, utilities, and building structures.
- Manage project schedules and budgets, while leading and maintaining excellent client relations
- Support business development and client maintenance through client sourcing, preparation of proposals and strategies, and qualification packages
- Provide recommendations to clients for materials testing results that are not in compliance with specifications and provide recommendations for clients to bring work into compliance with the specifications
- Provide expertise and support for geotechnical and construction materials aspects of projects throughout the design, tendering, and construction stages including:
- Foundations (structures including buildings, bridges, embankments, all foundation types (shallow and deep), and ground improvements
- Settlement analyses
- Engineered fills
- Slope stability and embankment assessments
- Dams and ponds
- Construction groundwater control/dewatering requirements
- Land use planning and feasibility assessments
- Management of excess soil movement and disposal based on geo-environmental testing
- Field sampling and testing of aggregate, concrete and asphalt materials
- Proficient experience and understanding of nuclear densometer based compaction testing
- Knowledge and experience in dealing with geotechnical construction materials including soils, aggregates, concrete and asphalt in a construction project setting
- Experience in solving geotechnical issues related to earthwork construction and ability to provide solutions in a construction environment
- Bachelor’s degree in geotechnical, geological or civil (geotechnical) engineering
- Licensed Professional Engineer in Alberta and Western Provinces
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Geo-engineering field
- Ability to lead and cooperate with a team in various environments, as well as work independently
- Ability to take ownership and accountability for completed work
- Strong influencing skills and the ability to develop effective and credible relationships both with project teams and within the organization
- Strong problem solving and decision making abilities
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with current geotechnical software applications including GeoStudio (Slope/W, etc.)
- Strong analytical/technical, project management and report writing skills, and desire to provide excellent practical client service
- Positive attitude and interpersonal skills
- In addition to proven supervisory and project management experience knowledge of regional markets, agencies, and local terrain / geotechnical conditions
Being the best we can be is in our culture.
We are a family of smart, innovative and creative problem solvers. In our employee-owned company, everything feels like it matters more. Challenge us and help us come up with new solutions to ensure water, energy and urbanization are made sustainable for generations to come.
Our commitment to you
Commitment is a powerful word that defines how we do business, how we serve our clients and how we care for one another. We will support your needs by giving you the tools to do your best work and then recognize achievements. We will set your curiosity free to allow brilliant minds to do their best work. We will invest in new ideas, removing barriers where we can. Finally, we will encourage you to collaborate with thousands of diverse people across our global business.
Who we are
We are committed to solving the world's biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanization. GHD is a global professional services company that is a leader in engineering, construction and architectural expertise. Established in 1928, we remain wholly owned by our people. We are 10,000+ diverse and skilled individuals, yet we are proudly ‘One GHD’ across more than 200 offices, spanning five continents – Asia, Australia, Europe, North and South America, and the Pacific region. Delivering extraordinary social and economic outcomes, we are passionate about building lasting relationships with our partners and clients.
As a diverse and inclusive organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.