Ballard's Modeling Team is actively seeking a full time Sr FEA Structural Analysis Engineer to develop and use simulation tools to design innovative fuel cells stacks and virtual evaluations of novel fuel cell stack, systems and modules.
Candidate will be responsible for providing structural analysis and evaluation that supports the structural integrity of Ballard's fuel cell products. The engineer will use first principle methods and FEA structural analysis codes to conduct analysis along with utilizing appropriate verification techniques in support of fuel cell designs. The Structural Analysis Engineer will also be involved with corrective action and failure investigations for product safety and customer support. Responsibilities:
Provide structural analysis and evaluation that supports structural integrity of Ballard's fuel cell products unit-cells, stacks and modules.
- Use first principle engineering methods along with FEA structural analysis codes (Ansys, MSC- Altair-HyperWorks, Marc and Abaqus) to conduct structural analysis in support of fuel cell designs. Analysis can include linear and nonlinear, static, modal, random vibrations and mechanical shock calculations.
- FEA meshing components, coupled analysis and parameterization/ automation along with shape/weight optimization studies. Development of DOE based optimization studies per design requirements. Efforts support faster design methodology and/or optimized designs.
- Experience in handling large assemblies and generating mesh using Ansys-Workbench or Altair-Hypermesh with predefined quality.
- Management of model versions, model improvement, and maintenance to achieve high quality simulation and modeling results. Development activities to reduce simulation time and overall product development design iteration timelines.
- Validation and documentation of models and model simulation results in collaboration with test engineers or component owners.
- Support failure investigations as required
- Effective project management of concurrent analysis in alignment with product development priorities amongst different programs.
- Applied Science or Engineering degree with 10+ years related experience in FEA software packages (Ansys) paired with experience in CAD (PTC-Creo /Pro Engineering). Professional Engineering designation in BC is an asset.
- Expert experience performing finite element structural analysis using materials with non-linear stress/strain relationships, hyperelastic materials, isotropic/orthotropic/anisotropic materials and springs, as well as experience optimizing structural designs (topology and shape optimization) using Altair-Optistruct or similar codes.
- Advanced knowledge of material failures and materials characterization tests is an asset.
- Must have good understanding of engineering concepts and theoretical knowledge of finite element analysis methods and Product Development cycles included validation and verification.
- Experience in bolted joints and welded joints evaluation per codes and standards.
- Experience with numerous FEA software packages is an asset (ANSYS, MSC, ABAQUS, HyperWorks, OptiStruct, COMSOL etc)
- Strong communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with scientists/engineers of various disciplines to produce appropriate documentation, and to present results to internal/external audience. Must be able to work both independently and on a team.
- Experience using cloud computing services for parallel computing and faster work flow.
- Comfortable with the interpretation of drawings with GD&T, weld details and design standards.
Listen & Deliver | Quality. Always. | Inspire Excellent | Row Together | Own It
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.