We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced software engineer to join our team. We are looking for someone with a superior understanding of Full Stack development, microservice and function-based architecture, REST API design, and React/Redux—but also someone who cares about a relaxed and positive work environment, is game for a laugh, ready to chime in on office debates about the Colwood Crawl (“traffic” to non-Victorians) and not afraid of what we call “Prosecco Fridays”. At Flytographer we work hard and love what we do. The ideal candidate will work closely with existing software developers (who always seem to look like they’re having the most fun in the office) to help plan, steer, and execute our key projects; including continued development on the bespoke systems that power Flytographer.
Your timing couldn’t be more perfect to join us (and we want someone awesome ASAP), because Flytographer is set to have one of its biggest years in 2019. We’re looking to expand and optimize our tech stack to some of the latest versions of Python, React and Postgres methodologies. Because we work on multiple projects concurrently and our organization is growing quickly, experience in prioritization and iterative development is considered an asset.
- Define and drive adoption of design patterns, coding and quality standards, and software development processes.
- Produce clean, efficient code using Python and React for web-based applications.
- Help improve software quality and data quality by coming up with better ways of measuring and testing.
- Work with other developers to drive long-term architecture vision. Drive and support innovation by acting as a sounding board for ideas and helping bring them to life. Actively engage in tracking and reducing technical debt.
- Share ideas, insights and technology trends. Provide coaching and mentoring to technical staff.
- Play a key role in hiring, retention and growth of talent: attract, evaluate, coach and mentor other developers.
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing software.
- Create technical solutions to business challenges for our external and internal customers.
- Ensure that technical designs are complete and well defined, assess risks to successful solution implementation and escalate issues as needed.
- Collaborate in defining and documenting system components, entities and service interfaces.
- Work with product managers early on to shape a product’s definition so that it can be built in a flexible, extensible and robust way. Work with the development team to help drive execution, providing technical consultation on design details and issues.
- 7+ years experience with Python.
- 7+ years experience with HTML and CSS.
- 2+ years experience with React (bonus points for Redux experience).
- 7+ years experience with SQL (preferably postgresql but not required).
- Strong experience in public/private cloud, container based solutions and modern IT infrastructure principles (experience leveraging AWS services is highly desired).
- Experience with Heroku, Nginx and Apache.
- Experience with integrating 3rd party APIs.
- Proven experience with performance and scalability optimization.
- Knowledge of software design patterns and frameworks.
- Clear communications skills, with ability to discuss and recommend architecture and design concepts clearly and efficiently.
- Experience with QA duties (usability testing, performance testing, automated testing, test scripts, test cases and test plans).
- Ability to adjust to change and maintain a rapid development pace.
- Ability to see the big picture and keep an eye on long-term goals and direction, while taking care of short-term needs.
- Broad understanding of competing technologies and their relative strengths and weaknesses; and the ability to select the right ones for our needs.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience designing and implementing continuous integration processes.
- Experience with Elasticsearch.
- Experience with WordPress.
- Experience with Flask.
- Experience with Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel, and attribution tracking software like Mixpanel or Woopra.
Our Technology Stack:
- Flask (SQLAlchemy)
Posted: November 22, 2018
Closes: January 21, 2019