The 15-month limited term Senior Engineer, Outfitting is responsible for executing Outfitting engineering assignments on new construction projects at Vancouver Shipyards. Under the direction of the Manager, Outfitting, the Senior Engineer, Outfitting participates in all phases of new construction design projects including: requirements decomposition, design preparations, supporting analysis, material selection and specification, engineering execution, and engineering close-out activities. NOTE: This is a 15-month limited term opportunity providing comprehensive extended health benefits and 4 weeks vacation. Duties/Accountabilities
Education and Experience
- Provides engineering and design expertise in assigned areas of Marine Outfitting Systems by preparing design and calculation packages to ensure contract design requirements are met.
- Supports the Manager, Outfitting by providing guidance and oversight to other junior engineers, designer or subcontractors.
- Develops and/or reviews design documents for fisheries, icebreaking and naval replenishment vessels in order to achieve customer, Classification Society and regulatory approval.
- Performs trade studies, both formal and informal to determine the most cost-effective solutions to engineering problems and meet material budgets for systems assigned.
- Identifies opportunities to reduce material costs below budget.
- Develops material specifications and bills of material in accordance with Seaspan material strategies and customer requirements.
- Represents the company to industry to develop understanding of Seaspan's involvement in the Federal Fleet Renewal program and continue to build our reputation.
- Availability and willingness to travel to such locations and with such frequency as the employer determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent is required.
- P.Eng. EGBC status or E.I.T. Status and able to apply for P.Eng. within a year.
- 8 or more years post-secondary experience working in an Outfit Engineering discipline is necessary.
- Previous shipyard experience is preferred; heavy industry experience is required.
- Experience working with a diverse integrated project team is considered an asset.
- Technical knowledge and engineering skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to develop solutions to complex technical problems.
- Above average analytical skills to gather and analyze/synthesize data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy as an integral part of the collective analysis/synthesis process.
- Strong technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear, detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports.
- Knowledge of MRP, purchasing and management systems a plus.
- Working knowledge of ShipConstructor and ACAD software, document control systems and databases desired.
- Good organizational skills.
- Above average communication skills including written, verbal, listening and presentation are required.
- Committed to a high standard of safety and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer's safety policies and rules.
- Exercise sound judgments and make decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- PC proficiency required. Working knowledge of basic Microsoft Office 2010 software suite (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint).
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. Note: Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted