Posting End Date: Number of Opening:
At Finning Digital, we're connecting customers, equipment, operators and data to create new value, both for Finning and for our customers - and revolutionizing an industry.
This is your opportunity to make a unique and measurable impact on a transforming business.
We are grounded in the strength and legacy of Finning - and incubating a new and entrepreneurial business. You will be part of the start-up leadership team shaping the opportunity and executing together. If you crave the excitement of breaking new ground and growing a business, while appreciating the strength of a solid foundation and brand, you'll fit right in. Finning is the world's largest Cat® dealer, delivering unrivalled service to customers in mining, construction, power systems and forestry for over 80 years. We're proud of our legacy of providing the products and services that fuel our customers' businesses and drive our business economies.
We're also innovators, and in Finning Digital we see a powerful opportunity. The business case is clear. Digital technologies, data and analytics can be harnessed to bring new solutions to the heavy equipment business - a sector where we see the perfect combination of large investments in equipment with limited introduction and adoption of technologies that can drive significant
As a Sr. Data Scientist, you'll be focused on solving real world business challenges and optimizing our business performance across a wide range of areas from supply chain, pricing, and sales, and offering advanced analytical solutions for maintenance program optimization, inventory optimization, fuel optimization, scheduling optimization, amongst others to Finning customers. You'll rely on your background and love for Statistics, Modelling, Machine Learning, and Optimization for rapid problem solving, developing and/or hacking POC solutions to test the validity of models and concepts, validation and verification of results, and working with data architects and data engineers to build end-to-end data processing pipelines.
In this business facing role, you'll need not only excellent communication skills, but the ability to translate complex concepts into more digestible terms, you'll be managing stakeholder expectations during this process and helping to evangelise the power of data driven decisions. As a senior member of the team, you'll also be asked to mentor other team members and co-ops, across technology and coding, algorithm selection and business acumen, keeping everyone focused on the business. You'll also work in collaboration with other members on the Finning Digital teams, including Project Managers, Product Managers, Visual Analysts, Architects, Software and Data Engineers and more as we continue to explore new areas inside and outside of business, on our digital journey. Job Description: What You'll Do:
Who You Are:
- Work with the business and non-technical stakeholders to discover and document Problem Formulation through gathering requirements and understanding the core problem
- Help leadership with prioritization of backlog of projects based on impact, importance and resourcing
- Communicate and 'translate' quantitative findings (storytelling with data), make meaningful conclusions and recommendations, identify and interpret trends and relationships to product and business stakeholders
- Identify requirements and build forecasting methodology and tools that are statistically grounded but also explainable operationally, applying technical skills that allowing models to intelligently adapt to changing attributes, include demand patterns or technology capability
- Develop new statistical methodology that can be used to cluster, classify and predict business outcomes. This includes methods to optimize inventory prediction accuracy and to better understand and mitigate model variance drivers.
- Research machine learning algorithms and implement by tailoring to particular business needs and tested on large datasets and communicating your findings in public research settings
- Create automated metrics using complex databases
- Providing analytical network support to improve quality and standard work result
- You drive the continually improvement of ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating and/or simplifying self-service support
- Present to and influence senior management at both strategic and tactical levels while also proposing best in class technical and architecture solutions
- Actively solicit and accept design feedback from cross functional teams across a variety of high visibility projects
- Stay abreast of innovations in Cloud infrastructure, Business Intelligence, Analytics and Data Warehouse tools and technologies
- PhD or Masters graduate in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or other technical field from an accredited university
- 3-5 years' of post education experience in engineering, data science, analytics or modern business intelligence experience with an emphasis on enterprise digital/customer analytics
- Experience with statistical analysis, regression modeling and forecasting, time series analysis, data mining, financial analysis, and demand modelling
- Exceptional communicator, collaborator, and influencer, and enjoy working with non-technical business stakeholders
- Experience in Statistical Software such as R, Alteryx, SAS, SPSS, Azure ML
- Proficiency with TABLEAU, Microsoft Excel to include making charts, data manipulation, pivot tables, creating macros, and visual basic knowledge
- Able to write SQL scripts for analysis and reporting (SQL, MySQL)
- Experience processing, filtering, and presenting large quantities (100K to Millions of rows) of data
- Comfortable balancing multiple projects and priorities in a highly dynamic, rapidly growing and evolving environment.
- You participate in MeetUps, Product Camps, and other local industry activities as a Brand Ambassador
- You have a great sense of humour - we work extremely hard, and have fun doing it!
- You are a Swiss army knife with a wide range of skills and do what it takes to get the job done! You are resourceful, persistent, and constantly innovative!
- Experience using one or more Python, VBA, MATLAB, Java, C++ programming languages is nice to have
We are committed to diversity at Finning, to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Finning does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Posted: December 11, 2018
Closes: February 9, 2019