Founded in Vancouver, Canada in 2003, Plenty of Fish is one of the early pioneers in the online dating industry, with one of the largest and most diverse communities of singles. We're one of the top revenue-driving brands in the Match Group (comprised of Tinder, OkCupid, Hinge and Match.com).
We love what we do, and have the ability to profoundly impact millions of people's lives every single day! Named one of BC’s Top Employers, Plenty of Fish is a great place to build friendships, grow your career and collaborate with top talent.
As a Data Scientist at Plenty of Fish, you will work on our AI Squad, working vertically across the organization. Working alongside Data Scientists, Data Engineers, BI, Architects and Product Managers, you will be solving complex problems which keep us awake at night, such as how does POF keep winning the war on Fraud? How do we improve our matching algorithms and search along with how can we gain a fundamental understanding of what makes our members happy? Best of all, your work will have a direct positive impact on our millions of members daily.
So, what will you do?
- Explore, design and build AI prototypes capable of significantly altering our users’ experiences
- Develop detailed data models to explain user behavior and discern complicated patterns
- Dive into the data to analyze subtle trends in business performance, presenting insights and stories through the data in accessible ways
- Work alongside our Architects to evaluate and review the algorithms we use to match users
- Design and building complex predictive models, creating forecasts, and mining deep insights from raw and unstructured data
- Perform deep dives into unstructured data and build complex models to extract valuable insights into our users and the business
- Perform time series analysis and forecasting for a variety of important business and operational metrics
- Coordinate with the Product team to identify and measure key business areas and provide them with actionable insights
- Evangelize a data-driven culture
- Participate in a highly collaborative environment, we want you to share your expertise!
You'll be a match for this role if you have..
- M.S or PhD in a quantitative field such as physics, mathematics, computer science, statistics, biostats, or economics
- Minimum of 2+ years post graduation experience as a Data Scientist, Research Scientist or Machine Learning Engineer
- Familiar with cutting edge deep learning techniques and associated tools (such as PyTorch/Tensorflow)
- Strong programming skills with history of deployment to production at scale
- Proven track record of productionizing machine learning solutions for stakeholders at scale
- Solid understanding of mathematical modeling and statistics: inference, Bayesian methods, graphical models, network theory, likelihood estimation, Monte-Carlo methods and sampling theory
- Experience working with and deploying recommender systems
- Understanding of how to optimize machine learning models (parallelization, batching techniques, etc)
- Ability to rapidly acquire and adopt new knowledge and techniques
- Ability to think creatively about problems and not afraid to go “outside the box”
- Proficient with standard SQL and relational databases
- Familiarity with Python and/or R and their data science/machine learning packages
- Comfortable working independently on large projects (demonstrated via industry or academic experience) or as part of a diverse team of different skills as necessary
- Ability to see the “big picture” and how your work relates to POF’s entire business - and the ability prioritize your research work accordingly
- Experience with GCP/AWS or other cloud providers
Why Plenty of Fish?
We have remote options available
Generous vacation, flex days, professional development days
RRSP matching, and employee stock purchase plan
Professional development budget and unlimited access to Udemy from the day one
Match Group mentorship program
Maternity & parental leave top up and fertility preservation benefits
Extended health & dental benefits from day one
Corporate ClassPass membership and other wellness benefits
Be Proud - It's OUR sh*p. Own it! We see challenges as opportunities and take action.
Make Waves - We profoundly impact millions of peoples' lives, every day.
Dive Deep - We empathize with our members and use data to surface smart decisions.
Crew Together - We love what we do, have fun, and are free to be ourselves.
Want To Dive Deeper?
We’re committed to creating an equal and inclusive environment; we welcome all crew (and prospective crew) members regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction unrelated to employment, or any other prohibited ground of discrimination recognized by applicable law. Plenty of Fish is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.