Job Description Summary
The Senior Data Engineer will provide subject matter expertise in the delivery of data to users by defining functional requirements, designs, and implementation approaches for an effective data pipeline. This role is responsible for providing leadership for the full lifecycle from data acquisition to delivery to a data warehouse or other destination type, as well as ensuring performance optimization and quality of developed solutions that are fit for use, supportable and maintainable.
The Senior Data Engineer is an expert in sourcing, cleansing, modelling, and content delivery to meet business needs. The role is a collaborative one with a focus on getting business users their data and allowing them flexibility to do their analysis as needed.
As a collaborative and effective communicator, you have a proven track record working with cross-functional teams and business stakeholders. As the organization grows, so will the role. This requires someone who is an excellent problem solver, able to organize their work, be transparent, and a good communicator.Job Description Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in partnership with the IS department and business stakeholders to evaluate requests, clarify objectives and functional requirements for new or modified data warehousing and reporting requests: to determine feasibility, time requirements, and compatibility with current system capabilities; and to design, develop, and produce operational artifacts.
- Interact with data governance teams to communicate data models, technical opportunities, and constraints.
- Develop data driven solutions which includes ETL pipelines, dimensional modelling, metadata management, data cleansing and conforming, and querying.
- Develop data gathering, processing, data quality, and warehousing based solutions.
- Lead the delivery lifecycle including establish and enhance tools to support the lifecycle e.g. utilization of code management, test driven development, and automated deployment.
- Work with a variety of BI tools to develop views on data including SAP Analytics Cloud, BusinessObjects, PowerBI, or Tableau. Breakdown and plan work as part of larger planning processes.
- Promote and advance Agile approaches and culture, including DevOps and DataOps technologies, tools and processes.
- Monitor ongoing performance of systems and develop updates and/or modifications in accordance to business needs.
- Collaborate with end users to provide production operation support.
- Participate as a senior member of the IS department, offer feedback on initiatives, identify opportunities for improvement, and collaborate on delivering the best IS solutions.
- Support the continuous improvement of the development life cycle including establishing and enhancing tools, utilization of code management, code reviews, test driven development, and deployment automation.
- Assist the IS team with issues requiring senior technical expertise; provide off-hour support as required.
- Provide mentoring and coaching for new or existing team members, as assigned, to elevate their technical skills; serve in leading the team to take ownership.
- Constantly learning through experiences at hand and striving for improvement.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 8+ years of development experience, with 4+ years of working with ETL and data warehousing platforms.
- In-depth knowledge and experience ideally in the following areas:
- ELT using ERP data with a preference for SAP S/4 or ECC
- data warehouse development using Snowflake or other similar platform
- cloud based platforms for ELT such as Fivetran or AWS components.
- data quality analysis and processing
- lambda type data processing for near-term data an asset
- schema design approaches using ERD (BEAM* is an additional asset) with a foundation in object modelling
- open data specifications such as OMG or CIM an asset
- analytics platform an asset such as Tableau or PowerBI
- Proven experience as a team lead and/or project manager is considered an asset.
- Strong passion for technical leadership, coaching and mentoring.
- Exceptional communication skills (verbal, written, presenter) and interpersonal skills with proven experience building strong relationships with key opinion leaders, business partners and senior executives.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with Agile software development techniques and tools.
- Ability to coordinate data mapping, create data load utilities, complete data loads, coordinate support activities such as conversion testing, data cleansing, and cutover planning.
- Strong data analysis, data mapping, and data modeling skills.
- Strong ability to present data in a meaningful way through reporting and analysis.
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, analysis, communication, and teamwork skills with proven experience.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as "Scientists Helping Scientists" - standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number. Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!
Biotechnology Information Technology