Amazon is looking for an outstanding Data Engineer to join the AWS Product BI team. This is your opportunity to be a core part of the team that has direct impact on the day-to-day decision making in the many AWS Product teams like EC2, S3 and IoT.
Since early 2006, AWS has provided companies of all sizes with an infrastructure platform in the cloud. AWS is a high-growth, fast-moving division within Amazon with a start-up mentality where new and diverse challenges arise every day. On the AWS Product BI team you will be surrounded by people that are exceptionally talented, bright, and driven, and believe that world class BI is critical to our success. To help build this growing team, you must be highly analytical and possess a strong passion for analytics and accountability, set high standards with a focus on superior business success. We take working hard, having fun, and making history seriously. AWS sets the standard for functionality, cost, and performance for many cloud based services, but it's still early days for cloud computing, and there are boundless opportunities to continue to redefine the world of cloud computing - come help us make history!
As a Data engineer on this team, you will be a technical leader in our team, and own the technical architecture of our BI and Data platforms. You will get the exciting opportunity to work on very large data sets in one of the world's largest and most complex data warehouse environments. You will work closely with the business and technical teams in analysis on many non-standard and unique business problems and use creative-problem solving to deliver actionable output.
Our team is serious about great design and redefining best practices with a cloud-based approach to scalability and automation. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, an ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, and an ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
Key responsibilities include
- Designing, developing, troubleshooting, evaluating, deploying, and documenting data management and business intelligence systems, enabling stakeholders to manage the business and make effective decisions.
- Building secure, available, scalable, stable, and cost-effective data solutions using data storage technologies, distributed file system, data processing, and business intelligence best practices.
- Working with business customers in understanding the business requirements and implementing solutions to support analytical and reporting needs.
- Designing and planning for solutions in the various engineering subject areas as it relates to data storage and movement solutions: data warehousing, enterprise system data architecture, data design (e.g., Logical and Physical Modeling), data persistence technologies, data processing, data management, and data analysis.
- Ensuring completeness and compatibility of the technical infrastructure to support system performance, availability and architecture requirements
- Reviewing and participating in testing of the data design, tool design, data extracts/transforms, networks and hardware selections
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, and solid years of relevant experience.
- A strong grasp of SQL and at least one scripting or programming language.
- 8+ years of experience with and detailed knowledge of data warehouse technical architectures, data modeling, infrastructure components, ETL/ ELT and reporting/analytic tools and environments, data structures and hands-on SQL coding.
- 5+ years of large IT project delivery for BI oriented projects.
- 8+ years of working with very large data warehousing environmentPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in designing and delivering cross functional custom reporting solutions.
-Prefer 8-15 years of experience
- Experience with Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) databases - Redshift, Teradata etc
- Experience with distributed systems and NoSQL databases
- Experience with Big Data technologies e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Oozie, Presto, Hue, Spark, Scala and more!
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Proven ability to meet tight deadlines, multi-task, and prioritize workload
- A work ethic based on a strong desire to exceed expectations.
- Strong analytical skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.