Ballard's Supply Chain Group (Procurement team) has an immediate opening for a Senior Buyer
. The top priorities in this position will be to provide on time delivery for commodities, balance inventory levels according to the supply risk, monitor vendor performance and support price reductions. The ideal candidate will possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, is proactive, has a sense of urgency and is determined and dedicated to data accuracy. Performance will be measured by OTD reports and various other KPIs.
The successful candidate will work closely with Planning, Quality, Strategic Sourcing, Finance, Production and Product Development Teams to support new product development and execution of hydrogen fuel cell engine production for our customers. This role will be the key Ballard interface in the commercial management of strategic supplier relationships. This position will be located at our Burnaby facility.Core responsibilities:
- Acting as the key liaison for a number of strategic supplier partnerships and providing guidance to the broader Ballard team with respect to their commodity and technology roadmaps
- Managing a portfolio of materials and suppliers to ensure that both Production and Program objectives are met - as driven by ERP signals
- On Time Delivery (OTD) of the commodities through reviewing MRP and forecasted sales demand leading to the execution of Purchase Orders while also minimizing on hand inventory.
- Negotiating supply agreements to secure the lowest total cost of ownership for Ballard's commercial products, ensuring the best achievable material pricing, payment/delivery terms and warranty terms
- Assist with negotiating and finalizing capital equipment purchases and service level agreement contracts
- Actively participating in our cross functional supplier selection process, including participation in supplier audits as well as communicating the Supplier Scorecard performance.
- Thoroughly know your suppliers' capabilities and (capacity) constraints and drive supplier improvement initiatives and proactively communicating potential issues and interruptions in supply
- Understand the product from initial concept and provide the Product Development teams with early input regarding risk and cost of supply.
- Together with the Strategic Supplier Sourcing team, research new suppliers, sub-contractors and manufacturers to assist in product improvements, delivery improvement and cost/profits enhancement, and support new supplier and component validation and approval
- Assist in the development of purchasing policies and procedures.
- A Post-Secondary degree engineering, business or commerce
- Recognized Supply Chain or Purchasing accreditation, and/or:
- 5-10 years procurement experience in a senior supply chain position supporting custom manufacturing. Automotive experience is a plus!
- Experience in managing a global supply base
- Experience in purchasing capital equipment and negotiating service level agreements
- Proven ability to manage challenges while continuing to meet deadlines and achieve goals
- In-depth experience and understanding of ERP or MRP system
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced team environment
- Ability to think creatively and identify innovative solutions to difficult issues
- Ability to build commitment to ideas, plans, or courses of action
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills - timely, accurate and succinct delivery of information
Listen & Deliver | Quality. Always. | Inspire Excellence | Row Together | Own It
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
Operations and Logistics