At Plenty of Fish, our vision is to create the most dates for our users around the world.
We are one of the world's leading online dating platforms with millions of daily active members. We are a Vancouver-headquartered success story and now one of the top revenue-driving brands in the Match Group
(owner of Tinder, OkCupid, and Match.com, NASDAQ: MTCH.)
Plenty Of Fish is developing solutions to improve our member’s experiences and interactions while they are using our service. We believe in earning the trust of our members, which is why we are expanding our Trust team, and why we are looking for a passionate developer to join our team.
As a Sr. Backend Engineer you will be responsible for creating, improving and maintaining our squad’s services, which includes fraud detection, identity verification, and moderation services. You will get to work on services that provide real impact to our users, which is why they must be highly available and robust services, and why we expect you to participate in an on-call rotation for support requests.
So, what will you do?
- Work on a team dedicated to improving our member’s experiences
- Maintain existing services, running on .net core and .net framework 4.x
- Implement fast data access on MSSQL and PostgreSQL databases
- Build high-performance, high-available and mission-critical applications. We're small enough that you can make a real impact on what we develop
- Participate in application design using service-oriented or microservice architecture design principles
- Dive-in to investigations when problems arise
- Investigate user behaviour to improve our fraud detection algorithms
- Provide analysis, recommendations, and solutions to improve performance, security, and scalability of software and services
- Build tools and automation to improve serviceability and observability of our applications and services
- Contribute to the enhancement of our Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment and development lifecycle
- Share! We have a highly collaborative environment, and we want you to share your expertise and help facilitate constant learning
You'll be a match for this role if you have..
- At least 1+ years experience developing and running enterprise applications in .net
- Several years of experience developing, running, and maintaining enterprise applications in any language and built applications at scale
- Worked in both microservice-based and monolithic architectures
- A natural deep understanding of HTTP 1.1 semantics and RESTful APIs
- Familiarity with protocols such as gRPC, and have heard of HTTP/2 and QUIK
- Database development experience both relational databases and NoSQL databases, like MS SQL, PostgreSQL, or Redis
- Experience building event driven systems using Kafka or another message queuing system
- Experience working with container technologies like Docker
- Experience with writing unit tests and integration tests to test your own code
- Security awareness and understand that protecting confidential data is paramount
It's a bonus if you have..
- Experience with payment processing systems or have interfaced with stores like iTunes or Google Play would be an asset
- Experience with Cloud technologies
Why Plenty of Fish?
We have remote options available
Generous vacation, flex days, professional development days and your birthday off
RRSP matching, and employee stock purchase plan
Professional development budget and unlimited access to Udemy from the day one
Match Group mentorship program
Maternity & parental leave top up and fertility preservation benefits
Extended health & dental benefits from day one
Corporate ClassPass membership and other wellness benefits
Be Proud - It's OUR sh*p. Own it! We see challenges as opportunities and take action.
Make Waves - We profoundly impact millions of peoples' lives, every day.
Dive Deep - We empathize with our members and use data to surface smart decisions.
Crew Together - We love what we do, have fun, and are free to be ourselves.
Want To Dive Deeper?
We’re committed to creating an equal and inclusive environment; we welcome all crew (and prospective crew) members regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction unrelated to employment, or any other prohibited ground of discrimination recognized by applicable law. Plenty of Fish is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.