Job Description Summary
The Scientist is responsible for providing expertise in the areas of scientific and technical leadership for the development of the assigned product line(s) in the Research and Development (R&D) department. This role advances STEMCELL's long-term success in current and emerging markets through product and technological innovation. The Scientist serves as a scientific ambassador of the company to drive and leverage collaborations with external researchers and partners, and internally by sharing their expertise and interfacing closely with other departments.Job Description Duties and Responsibilities
- Fully responsible for the assigned product line(s) of magnetic particles for positive selection: set performance criteria, quality of experimental design, project planning, product optimization, and launch.
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex scientific and technical investigations.
- Responsible for supporting corporate goals through innovative product development and by identifying emerging markets.
- In collaboration with the Strategic Marketing group, review marketing analyses, cutting edge technologies, product lifecycle management and future trends to identify customer needs.
- Present New Product Proposals.
- Evaluate new technologies with the Business Development Team.
- Generate intellectual property and assist in writing patent applications. Perform literature and patent searches to identify new technologies and scientific trends.
- Identify and execute product and process improvement projects.
- Generate technical documentation and provide pre- and post-product launch support.
- Keep abreast of competitor activities, regularly present competitor analysis reports, and recommend new product development ideas to counter potential competitor threats.
- Source the required internal and external collaborations to execute projects and initiatives.
- Contribute to sourcing grant funding opportunities and drafting grant applications.
- Serve as a scientific ambassador of the company: i) deliver superior quality presentations to internal and external audiences; ii) promote the STEMCELL brand and mission; and, iii) publish abstracts, posters and articles.
- In collaboration with the Education Team, provide input for training material and participate in the product training sessions as needed.
- Adhere to the Quality Management System (QMS) initiatives and requirements.
- May supervise a team of 1 or more laboratory staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Team Leadership and Management (as assigned)
- Lead, manage and support the assigned team to maximize their productivity and performance, including the availability of resources and capabilities within the teams for all planned activities, tasks and projects.
- Implement people-centric leadership capabilities and build a positive workplace culture within the team(s) focused on developing skill sets, capabilities and tools, facilitating continuous improvements and ensuring the assigned teams are set-up for success for the delivery of all planned goals, milestones and activities.
- Lead people development initiatives to increase individual and team bench strength. Evaluate direct reports through regular one-on-one and team meetings. Conduct performance reviews (quarterly goals and annual reviews), and provide ongoing quality developmental feedback; facilitate promotion and compensation recommendations in accordance with Company policies and practices.
- Build a talented team through effective hiring best practices to identify top talent. Recommend and resolve any staffing needs to ensure the team is scalable for growth (right people in the right role at the right time).
- Responsible for maintaining a collaborative and supportive culture through effective conflict resolution, facilitation of team communication (top down, bottom up) and use of negotiation skills to reach consensus.
- Perform other duties as required.
- PhD with 1 year of post-doctoral training in chemistry, chemical engineering is preferred.
- Experience with the following techniques is an asset: Particles sizing characterization (DLS, Nanosight, FFF, SEC, Electron/Optical microscopy), surface functionalization characterization (TGA, zeta, chemical assays) and synthesis of particles (Nano/Micro particles, surface functionalization/conjugation, polymers)
- An independent researcher with product, methodology, and/or technology development experience.
- Proven record of complex experimental design and execution; demonstrated ability to apply appropriate statistical analyses.
- Broad technical expertise and knowledge of diverse laboratory techniques. Proven experience training personnel on laboratory techniques and protocols.
- Skilled presenter to deliver technical summaries of data with critical thinking skills to provide in-depth analytical explanations and interpretations.
- Extensive knowledge and practical experience of STEMCELL products are assets.
- Authored academic publications including first authorship publications in high impact journals.
- Managed successful collaborations in the relevant field.
- Experience drafting business plans, patent applications and related articles in the field of expertise is an asset.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) both in one-on-one and in group settings.
- Detail-oriented and proficient at time management.
- Team orientated -'one-team' behavior is a must.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as "Scientists Helping Scientists" - standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number. Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!