Powertech Labs Inc, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Substations, Power Systems, Grid Modernization and Advanced Transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company's staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused: To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
Powertech has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Scientist 2 to join a team of professionals based at Powertech Labs in Surrey, B.C.
The Applied Chemistry group provides testing, analysis, investigations, applied research and consultation to the power industry for the purpose of diagnostics, condition assessment and life extension of their assets. The business unit is equipped with state of the art instruments for chemical, material and polymer analysis focusing on insulating oils and gases, lubricants, fuels and coolants, environmental and materials evaluation Our expertise in the areas of insulating fluids and analysis, including traditional mineral oils, environmentally friendly vegetable oils, synthetic esters and sulphur hexafluoride, the research and development section is considered world-class with focus on life extension, on-line monitoring and on-line oil purification of electrical equipment. We also have extensive experience in all aspects relating to PCB contamination in electrical utilities, including analysis, on-line removal and destruction with oil reclamation. Other services include analytical services for environmental testing, fuels, lubes and coolants analysis and extensive capabilities in polymer and material testing including failure analysis. The materials and polymers testing lab is equipped with modern thermal analysis, rheology, spectrometric, chromatographic, and mechanical testing instrumentation.
The Scientist 2 provides project leadership on large, complex research projects and prepares major test reports, project proposals and business development studies.
1. Provides project leadership on large, complex research projects through planning, organizing, coordinating and executing activities encompassing testing, analysis, investigations, research and development including the application of advanced concepts and technological principles.
2. Evaluates existing test and analysis techniques; develops and recommends revised or new methods to improve operation; designs experiments in new areas of research; recommends suitability of new testing equipment.
3. Provides advice, guidance and recommendations to laboratory and operating personnel on procedures, processes and alternative materials to alleviate problems encountered and to maintain optimum operational efficiency.
4. Develops, writes and presents research papers, proposals, reports and recommendations including results of research, test techniques, processes and problem solutions; evaluates reports submitted by project team members.
5. Provides for Powertech a level of expertise in a specific discipline for which one is recognized as an expert both inside and outside the company.
6. Undertakes business development activities and solicits new clients by promoting products, services and exploring new products and services reflecting changes in client demands.
7. Prepares a variety of budget information and cost benefit analysis for inclusion in Business Unit budget and status reports.
8. Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties which do not affect the rating of the job.
Required Technical Experience and Knowledge
Location: Surrey B.C.
Job ID: SCI2018.53
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
Affiliation: MoveUp Union
Compensation & Benefits: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Competition Close Date: January 1, 2019
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply and to obtain more information on Powertech Labs Inc. visit us at powertechlabs.com.
Connect with employer: