Langley School District invites applications for a casual Science Technician to work in Secondary Schools. This position reports to the Science Department Head, and performs a variety of duties related to the storage and set up of science labs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Mixes and dilutes chemicals for science labs.
• Sets up chemicals, materials and equipment for labs.
• Tests equipment operation to ensure proper functioning.
• Labels, organizes and stores chemicals, materials and equipment.
• Maintains accurate and sufficient inventory of chemicals, materials and equipment for labs.
• Cleans up after labs including washing and storing glassware, reclaiming and storing chemicals and storing equipment.
• Ensures equipment is in good working order.
• Prepares cultures, harvests and stores microorganisms and biological specimens
• Assists in ensuring operation and availability of safety equipment such as eyewash solutions and fire blankets.
• Prepares teaching materials such as handouts, worksheets and tests.
• Operates equipment such as a computer, burners, microscopes, balances, scales and photocopier.
Rate of Pay: $25.25 per hour
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Grade 12 graduation, plus one year of post secondary education in physics and math and two year's post secondary education in chemistry and biology.
• Thorough knowledge of WHMIS, current safety standards for handling, storage and disposal procedures of all chemicals.
• Ability to determine, judge and select appropriate course of action within limits of established methods and procedures.
• Ability to communicate effectively using courtesy and tact in the routine exchange or provision of information.
• Working knowledge of computers. Physical ability to perform the required duties.
Please include the following documents in your application package:
Note that we accept applications only through www.makeafuture.ca/langley. No walk-ins, emails or phone calls please.
For instructions on how to create a Make a Future account and apply to postings, please click on the link below
This posting is open until filled.
About Make A Future
Make a Future is a recruitment initiative created by the BC Public School Employers’ Association as a joint venture among BC’s 60 public boards of education, the First Nations Education Steering Co...