BCIT’s Smart Microgrid Applied Research Team (SMART) is currently seeking a temporary, full-time Software Developer. This is a senior-level hands-on technical position. Functioning as a team leader and/or a team member, the successful candidate will be responsible for designing and building high-performance, scalable applications in areas including: Microgrid and Energy Management Systems; Green Transportation and EVEMS; and Cyber-security. The successful candidate will join a multi-discipline team responsible for campus smart microgrid applied research infrastructure, next generation EV infrastructure, smart grid technologies, and microgrid data communication networks and cybersecurity.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
• Being a part of BC's Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
• A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a pension plan.
• Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
• Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
• Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
• Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Design and build high-performance, fault-tolerant, scalable production systems, in support of our Smart Microgrid Initiative, including but not limited to energy management systems for microgrid and electric vehicles.
• Design algorithms and develop tools for managing data, and validating models and/or technologies.
• Develop and document APIs.
• Benchmark and debug critical issues and participate in software design, production readiness and code reviews.
• Communicate effective strategies, for example during proposal, technical due diligence, and/or design phases.
• Research, suggest and incorporate new tools, frameworks, services, or processes.
• Assist in deploying, monitoring, and troubleshooting production systems.
• Present at internal and external events on project outcomes.
• A Bachelor’s Degree or Institute of Technology Diploma in an area suitable for the work to be performed and 6 years relevant work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
• Demonstrated ability to establish applied research projects and provide leadership to project teams.
• In addition to the above, PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN to candidates who have had an active role and recent experience in the following:
• Demonstrated understanding of data structures, coding standards and software engineering best practices.
• Demonstrated experience with machine learning and/or optimization.
• Demonstrated experience in the real-time data processing and storage of time series data.
• Demonstrated experience in large data set analysis.
• Comfortable working cross-platform.
• Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Software Development.
• At least 6 years of experience in developing production distributed systems.
• Excellent judgement, decision making skills, and ability to produce high quality work under deadline pressure.