BCIT’s Smart Microgrid Applied Research Team (SMART) is currently seeking a temporary, full-time Software Developer / Research Analyst. This is an intermediate level hands-on technical position in a collegial workplace environment. The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting with design and development of high-performance, scalable applications in areas including: Microgrid and Energy Management Systems (EMS); Green Transportation and EVEMS; and Cyber-security. The successful candidate will join a multi-discipline team responsible for campus smart microgrid applied research infrastructure, next generation EV infrastructure, smart grid technologies, and microgrid data communication networks and cybersecurity.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist with design and build high-performance, fault-tolerant, scalable production systems, in support of our Smart Microgrid Initiative, including but not limited to EMS for microgrid and electric vehicles.
• Assist with algorithm design and develop tools for managing data, and validating models and/or technologies.
• Develop and document APIs
• Benchmark and debug critical issues and participate in software design, production readiness and code reviews.
• Communicate effective strategies, for example during proposal, technical due diligence, and/or design phases.
• Research, suggest and incorporate new tools, frameworks, services, or processes.
• Assist in deploying, monitoring, and troubleshooting production systems.
• Present on project outcomes.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
• Being a part of BC's Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
• A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a pension plan.
• Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
• Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
• Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
• Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
• A Bachelor’s Degree or Institute of Technology Diploma in an area suitable for the work to be performed and 4 years relevant work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
• Demonstrated ability to establish applied research projects and provide leadership to project teams.
In addition to the above, preference will be given to candidates who have had an active role and recent experience in the following:
• Demonstrated understanding of data structures, coding standards and software engineering best practices.
• Demonstrated experience with machine learning and/or optimization.
• Demonstrated experience in the real-time data processing and storage of time series data.
• Demonstrated experience in large data set analysis.
• Comfortable working cross-platform.
• Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Software Development.
• At least 4 years of experience in developing production distributed systems.
• Excellent judgement, decision making skills, and ability to produce high quality work under deadline pressure.
TERM OF APPOINTMENT: January 14, 2019 – March 31, 2020
SALARY RANGE: $52,761 to $72,386 per annum. Prorated based on percentage of appointment.
Salary based on education, experience and placement criteria as outlines in the Collective Agreement.
OPENING DATE: December 8, 2019
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only successful candidates will be required to have transcripts submitted directly to BCIT’s Human Resources Department directly from granting institution at the time of reference checks. If applicable, successful candidates will be responsible for the completion of international credential evaluations. All appointments will be conditional until receipt of verified credentials.
To apply, visit us at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted on the BCIT Careers website.
Posted: December 10, 2018
Closes: February 8, 2019