We are seeking dynamic, self-motivated candidates with good communication and people skills, and with a proven background in managing research and development (R& D) projects. As an R& D Project Manager you join an diverse team tasked with developing innovative solutions that strategically position MDA&rsquo s technical capabilities and offerings throughout the full value chain in Surveillance and Intelligence markets. You will be given the responsibility and authority to manage projects in high technology, engineering domains to incorporate new methods and technologies that create intellectual assets that position MDA strategically in Canadian and selected international markets. You will be part of a company that is known internationally for successfully completing highly complex and mission-driven solutions. You will build, motivate and lead collaborative, multi-disciplinary project teams to achieve the project objectives. There will be opportunities to work with a variety of professional Research Analysts and Engineers and travel to meet with customers. Specific Tasks
Skills and Qualifications
- You will work closely with the R& D Director and be responsible for managing teams of research analysts and engineers through the entire research and development process.
- Your responsibilities will include delivering quality products and services within a committed budget and schedule, project planning and tracking, resource procurement and assignment, external and internal communications, risk management, contractual issues resolution, subcontractor management, and, most importantly, building a strong, well-motivated project team.
- You will also lead bids and proposals, including customer liaison, solution and cost estimation and review.
- You will be responsible for delivering new intellectual property (IP) and know-how to the company, which are essential parts of MDA&rsquo s future competitiveness and growth.
- You will actively communicate project goals, progress and status to internal and external stakeholder through meetings, reports and presentations and work closely with your team to prepare and manage project deliverables.
- You will work closely with senior technical staff and business development managers to manage and evolve strategic technology and business roadmaps.
- Post-graduate degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics.
- 5+ years of project management experience is required, preferably in innovation development context
- Management training is an asset (e.g. MBA, PMI, PRINCE2) further education courses desirable (e.g. business development, contracts, negotiation).
- Experience managing fixed-price or time-and-materials projects where you deal with significant risks relating to scope, technology, cost, and schedule.
- Experience in leading and writing bid, proposals or grants, preferably to Canadian Government research and development organizations.
- Technical experience in the fields of ISR, Earth Observation, Remote Sensing and/or Software Engineering would be an asset.
- Knowledge of project and risk management techniques and tools with a thorough understanding of research and development processes and methodologies.
- Have managed a group of up to 10 staff (mix of technical staff and non-technical administrative support, incl. project accountant and contracts staff).
- You are known for your exceptional leadership and communication skills, critical thinking and problem solving abilities, and strong capabilities in planning, organizing and progress control. You effectively manage change and have the ability to delegate and work with all levels of an organization.
The position is based in Richmond, BC and may include travel. Successful candidate(s) must be able to obtain and hold security clearance at a minimum the Secret level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program.
MDA provides customers around the world with essential information solutions used for decision-making. Our employees enjoy challenging careers with opportunity for growth and learning.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Primary ActivitiesCandidate Profile
Management and Executive