Ballard's Research team has a regular, full-time position available for a Prototyping Technician or Technologist at our Burnaby location. Reporting to the Team Lead, Characterization, Prototyping and Methods Development (CPMD), the successful candidate will work with researchers to support all aspects of MEA (Membrane Electrode Assembly) prototyping in the Research Department, including anode, cathode, membrane and GDL (Gas Diffusion Layer) development activities. Responsibilities:
- Support electrode and catalyst layer research and development activities through prototyping of MEA components
- Prepare small scale catalyst inks and catalyst coated membranes (CCM), coated layers, and MEAs.
- Characterize structure and properties of inks (particle size, viscosity, rheology, etc.) and coated layers (adhesion, roughness, diffusivity, permeability, thickness, etc.)
- Prepare test articles, conduct characterization of fuel cell materials, and potentially operate fuel cell test stations
- Manage, collect, and present data using excel
- Work effectively within a research team to accomplish technical objectives
- Troubleshoot instrument and equipment problems
- Technology Diploma in materials, chemistry or engineering from a recognized college or equivalent program
- 1 - 3 year's relevant experience
- Previous experience working with fuel cell materials, ink processing and coating, CCM and MEA manufacturing processes, characterization techniques, fuel cell testing and/or working in a lab environment is preferred
- Excellent laboratory, safety and observational skills, hands-on capability, and aptitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organization and analytical problem-solving skills
- Working knowledge of excel
- Proven ability to work quickly, reliably, and independently, with a willingness to learn new skills, attention to detail, and adaptability
- Ability to work as part of, and support, a small team of research scientists, engineers, and technologists
An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
Management and Executive