Schaft Creek Project in northwestern British Columbia Closing Date:
May 24, 2022
Teck Resources Limited is seeking a Project Geologist to work at the Schaft Creek Project in northwestern British Columbia to assist in the planning and execution of the 2022 drill program. During the program the Project Geologist will work on a rotational basis in camp. Before and after the field program, work may be office-based or remote.
This role will report to the Senior Geologist or Senior Project Geologist. The Project Geologist will be responsible for contributing to a range of project planning, administration, and execution activities.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic exploration professional with strong technical skills with respect to ore deposit geology and exploration techniques. A focus on driving results, with a commitment to teamwork and continuous improvement are imperative for the role. Specific exploration experience with respect to drill core logging, drill contractor management, and porphyry copper geology is strongly valued along with experience in remote helicopter supported environments.
This role will combine the highest standards in environment, health & safety and community relations coupled with strong technical background, contributing to an exploration and geoscience program that is planned, resourced, and executed in a safe, efficient and effective manner consistent with Teck's priorities, culture and values. Key Accountabilities:
- Be a Courageous Safety Leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Promote the company's commitment to health and safety, sustainability, the environment, contributing to meeting Teck's standards in the region
- Adopt and promote a commitment to technical excellence
- Under the general direction of the Senior Geologist, assists in the planning and onsite management of the field program (diamond drilling, geological logging, geochemical and metallurgical sampling, geotechnical logging, downhole geophysics, etc.)
- Manage logistics, administration and technical execution of the 2022 drill program
- Ensure activities are consistent with EHS policies and management systems, as guided by the Charter of Corporate Responsibility, the Code of Business, Environmental and Health and Safety Practices and the EHS Management Standards
- Develop, document, and employ hazard and risk assessments and emergency response plans as required
- Continuously monitor various risk factors associated with project execution and take appropriate corrective action as required
- Supervise other geologists, technicians, field assistants and contractors
- Prepare comprehensive technical reports, maps and presentation materials with clear conclusions and recommendations on proposals for further work if merited
- Report leading and lagging indicators of health and safety activities/conditions/incidents using appropriate corporate systems and tools
- Complete required government or legislative documentation relevant to safety activities/conditions/incidents as needed
- Support exploration project initiatives, leveraging the successful candidate's skills and experiences, including:
- Project management including management of exploration staff, contractors and project-level exploration budgets
- Planning, data collection and interpretation of geoscience data collection
- Contribute to a culture of teamwork across all constituents and stakeholders and encourage cooperation and open communication
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant geoscience experience, including exposure to mineral exploration in greenfields and/or brownfields environments. Specific experience in drill program management, core logging, geochemical and geophysical applications is an asset
- Eligibility to work in Canada is required
- Applicants need to be eligible for registration or registered with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of B.C. ("EGBC")
- A university degree in geoscience or a related field is required. A relevant, advanced degree (MSc or PhD)will be considered an asset
- Experience in porphyry copper deposit projects is considered an asset
- Results oriented with excellent organizational, planning, management and decision-making skills
- Excellent communication, facilitation and interpersonal skills and experience working with a broad range of people
- Strong understanding of magmatic-hydrothermal ore-forming systems and solid understanding of economic geology and orebody genesis
- Intermediate working knowledge of major ore deposit types and exploration methods from deposit to regional scale
- Knowledge and basic experience of general management practices in an applied technical environment; e.g. finance (budget, accounting, governance), experience working with safety, health, environment systems, people management skills desirable and organizing and mobilizing resources
- Able to work a rotation schedule and live onsite in a remote camp environment
- English language - fluent spoken and written English language skills required
- Eligibility for enrollment as a Professional Geoscientist is an asset
- Valid Occupational First Aid - Level 1 certificate with Transportation Endorsement #LI-TM1
Successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against infection by COVID-19. Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a personal characteristic protected under applicable human rights legislation may request to be exempt from this requirement. We will do our best to accommodate those who are unable to be vaccinated.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck's approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2020, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eleventh straight year, indicating that Teck's sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world's 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResourcesJob Segment:
Chemistry, Materials Science, Metallurgy, Program Manager, Geology, Science, Management, Engineering