The Program Analyst Developer supports shared administrative software applications throughout the institution and has an in-depth understanding of current programming languages and best practices. The Developer consults with clients to identify and implement solutions to information systems problems and plans for the evolution of the College’s information systems.
The Developer will also be a key resource on project Aurora, a transformation project where Selkirk is implementing new enterprise systems for managing Finance, HR, Payroll, and Student Information. This project will give the developer the opportunity to help define the future state for data at the college and enable the transformation as required by the implementation team which may include data conversions, report development, API development, custom application development, and system integration.
1. Develops and supports software applications by:
- Leading or being a member of teams working on small to large-scale information technology projects;
- Designing, configuring, updating and troubleshooting shared software applications and sub-systems in a highly complex, multi-platform and multi-operating system environment;
- Integrating systems through the development and consumption of APIs and where appropriate incorporating enterprise integration technologies such as queues, event hubs, and an enterprise service bus;
- Developing database scripts, stored procedure, and reports as part of application development or on an ad-hoc basis with PL SQL / SQL / Excel / other enterprise reporting tools such as Reporting Services, PowerBI, Tableau;
- Developing workflows and automations within enterprise systems;
- Consulting with clients and gather requirements to help identify and develop solutions for Information Systems;
- Responding to requests for service, providing appropriate resolutions and maintaining associated documentation and on-line records
- Researching, testing, building and deploying solutions to address Information Systems problems and needs; and
- Creating and maintaining accurate and concise documentation related to the development, installation, configuration and maintenance of all supported systems.
2. Engages in professional development activities by:
- Selecting relevant discipline-related activities to remain current in his/her field;
- Maintaining professional organization memberships appropriate for the position;
- Networking with colleagues; and
- Assisting in the delivery of professional development activities to the College, the Community and to industry.
3. Maintains positive relationships with colleagues and other members of the College staff by:
- Developing positive relationships with College faculty, staff and other professionals;
- Being a positive and active participant in the Department’s responsibilities;
- Providing support and cooperative assistance to fellow professionals and College staff; and
- Acting with professionalism and integrity at all times.
Education and Experience
- BSc Degree in Computer Science combined with a minimum of at least 3 – 5 years of directly related experience; or, a two year diploma in Computer Information Systems with a minimum of 5 years or more of directly related experience both from an appropriately accredited institution.
- (Preferred) Training in ITIL or experience with a formal IT Service Management standard.
- (Preferred) Experience working with Microsoft Azure.
- (Preferred) Experience working with Atlassian products such as Jira, Confluence, and BitBucket.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Developing and supporting software solutions in a mixed OS environment including Windows and Linux.
- Skilled in web application development, object-oriented programming, server and client-side web scripting and procedural database programming such as PL/SQL.
- Ability to use source control technologies such as Git and BitBucket.
- Demonstrated ability to use software development environments such as Visual Studio or Visual Studio Code.
- Knowledge and ability to work on projects using different methodologies such as agile/scrum and waterfall.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills on a wide variety of computing hardware and software systems.
- Demonstrated success as a team member, in leadership roles and working autonomously.
- Strong communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to produce and maintain high quality technical documentation
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment that requires proficiency in multitasking, prioritizing, and meeting deadlines
- Ability to contribute to Department and/or College initiatives;
- A commitment to continuous learning.
If you feel you have the demonstrated background and are interested in learning more about this career opportunity, please forward you resume to AJ.email@example.com" target="_blank">AJ.firstname.lastname@example.org or call 778.374.2133.
We thank all interested applicants, however; only those selected to move forward will be contacted.
Software and Programming Education and Training Information Technology