Product Owner - Casino Platform
Location: Remote (BC only), BC, CA
Job Function: Information Technology Overview:
BCLC's two offices are located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Indian Band), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples in Vancouver and the Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc territory, situated within the Secwépemc Nation in Kamloops. We honour and respect the people, the territory, and the land we are part of.
Joining the Business Technology team at BCLC means you'll be working with cutting-edge technology to help build a world-class entertainment company. This is an engaged, innovative, capable group of talented individuals working in digital enablement, product delivery services, technology platform enablement, enterprise services, integrity and operations. This enables us to execute the purchase and validation of lottery tickets at over 3500 lottery retailers, manage a complex network of 12,000 slot machines and electronic table games across the province and provide the backbone for BCLC's eGaming platform, and much more.
We have offices in Kamloops and Vancouver and can also support 100% remote (from within British Columbia) for this position. Job Summary:
Reporting to the Director, Product Delivery Services, the Product Owner plays a leadership role on an Agile product team, being responsible for the mission of the team and bringing the business unit vision to the product team. They are the voice of the customer, translating the business and market need into product requirements and will maintain close interaction with the Agile product team and supporting capability pods to ensure alignment. Key Accountabilities:
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Defines the product roadmap, collaborating with stakeholder groups to understand the business strategy and determine priorities. Actively manages the product backlog, prioritizing it according to business value.
- Leads the mission of the product team. Communicates the business unit vision to the product team including contributing to the development of user stories. Evaluates the outputs on behalf of stakeholders, including acceptance of final product.
- Leads the prioritization, planning and breakdown of the product team work in collaboration with the product team.
- Participates in the product team's agile ceremonies such as planning sessions, stand-ups, retrospectives, and sprint review meetings.
- Engages specialists across the organization, or contractors, in addition to product team members. Manages contracts that are needed to deliver the product, with support of the BT vendor management.
- Negotiates with leaders and other stakeholders to remove team impediments, issues and blockers, including escalating to the appropriate levels within the organization when they cannot be resolved at the team level.
- Collaborates with other product owners on the prioritization of cross-team dependencies and deliverables required by other product teams.
- Reports to stakeholders, including the executive sponsor (VP), Directors or other product teams on the progress and status of product team deliverables. Proactively identifies risks and opportunities and makes recommendations for resolution.
- Manages the budget and forecasting associated with the work of the product team.
- Identified risks related to the product, develops and implements risk mitigation strategies and reports on risks.
Education and Experience
- A post-secondary degree in business administration, information technology management or a related discipline;
- 5 - 7 years recent, related experience as well as experience in a leadership capacity;
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with the specific product supported by the team;
- Proven knowledge in agile methodologies and tools;
- Excellent organizational and planning skills;
- Demonstrated expertise at a management level for business planning and road mapping, and a track record of successful management experience in a collaborative, fast-paced business environment;
- Demonstrated ability to build strong and trusting relationships with managers, employees and peers;
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills, written and verbal communication skills, problem-solving, analytical thinking/innovation, time management and multi-tasking skills.
For over three decades, BCLC has delivered exceptional gambling entertainment for British Columbians with the primary purpose of giving back to the province.
- Operate provincial, national and "Instant Win" in partnership with over 3500 lottery retailers across the province.
- Oversee 34 casino and community gaming centres across the province.
- Provide safe, secure and legal online gambling options including sports betting, casino style games and lottery.
In the fiscal year prior to the pandemic, we gave over $1.4 billion back to the province to support healthcare, education, community groups, and much more.
To help us achieve this goal, we aim to have the healthiest players in the world by establishing a higher standard of support with evidence-based player health programs.
To build a rich diverse workforce representing the communities which we serve, we welcome applications from people of all colours and cultures, persons with diverse abilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.
BCLC values work life balance and offers remote work options.
Relocation assistance is available for successful job candidates from outside BC.
If you are in need of accommodation or special assistance at any step of your application, please send an email with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
For over more than a decade, we have been recognized as one of BC's Top Employers - and we are constantly seeking ways to improve our employee and player experience. To learn more about BCLC, please visit: https://corporate.bclc.com/
Ready to join our team? Please Note:
This opportunity will remain open until a qualified candidate pool has been established.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada and be 19 years of age to work at BCLC.
BCLC requires all employees to be fully vaccinated from Covid-19 (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with BCLC unless a legal exemption is obtained.