Who are we?
Imagine playing a role to create products that save people's lives. At Mustang Survival, you can. The Mustang Survival brand represents leading edge extreme environmental protection for elite users including rescue workers, coast guard, fighter jet pilots, fishermen, sailors, paddlers, and even NASA astronauts. Our mission is bold, "We Save Lives for a Living", and requires courageous leaders. If you want a career that is challenging, energizing, and rewarding, come join us to push the boundaries of survival technology to deliver the ultimate user experience on the water through inspired technical solutions.
What are we looking for?
As a recreational product development engineer at Mustang Survival, your role is to develop life-saving product solutions based on user needs and regulatory requirements. You will work closely with the rest of the recreational product team in launching beautiful, functional, and highly desirable product solutions that align with the brand/company strategy. These products will answer consumer problems and represent market opportunities as identified in collaboration with the category manager and the design manager.
This role will require extensive engineering knowledge in the field of marine safety attire and flotation products, with skills and experience which must include testing and technical submissions as required to gain various regulatory product approvals. You will be able to manage, plan and coordinate multiple projects, present and develop leading edge products from concept, through production and Go-To-Market. These efforts contribute to design leadership within the recreational business unit and will establish Mustang as an innovative product leader in recreational category.
What will you be doing?
- You are a creative problem solver and out-of-the-box thinker that drives innovative product solutions
- You collaborate with the product recreational product team on the development and testing of innovative, world-class recreational marine product solutions – including PFDs, Apparel and Packs/Bags
- In collaboration with Category Manager and the Head of Design and based on the company objectives, assist in defining the seasonal product strategy and the individual projects to bring this vision to life
- You have extensive knowledge of product development in marine safety attire and flotation products
- Extensive knowledge of regulatory type approval and testing of marine safety and flotation products is an asset
- You can work within PLM system, sample and project sign off requirements and quality management systems; to document and track any development programmes
- You possess great IT and CAD skills, working within Autocad, Adobe suite or similar and have knowledge of Gerber / Lectra systems
- Utilizing the product road map, oversee the research & development process for the recreational product team working with the R&T team to see this vision executed into product solutions
- Work closely each season with category, design, materials, and supply chain/sourcing to ensure all design and development dates and tasks are accurately captured and reflected in the master calendar and milestones are achieved each season
- You understand the required testing protocols and standards for your product area and oversee the testing of these products. Analyse the results, documenting any areas of concern and work with the team to find and implement solutions
- Develop and execute test plans for new materials, processes, or technologies.
- You work closely with the QA team and design to ensure that any problems identified are properly solved
- Develop, create, and maintain product documentation (drawings, material specifications, assembly instructions, etc.) to support volume manufacturing in multiple facilities.
- Provide design and technical support for existing processes, materials and products (change management, failure analysis, trouble shooting, etc.).
- Constantly keep up to date with market, industry and design trends and utilize this understanding to inform the products developed
- Continually research innovative material/process/technology opportunities to prove user concepts, product construction techniques or manufacturing processes
- Identify improvements to current product designs and market gaps and opportunities for new product developments
- Investigate and maintain awareness of new material, construction, and design developments in the industry as well as new regulatory standards and implement them into designs as you see fit
- Relevant Engineering degree (Mechanical, Materials, Industrial, etc.).
- 5+ years of experience as an Engineer working on product development projects. (P. Eng)
- Participation in the activities we make product for would be an asset (sailing, paddling and fishing)
- Experience developing gear or apparel products for life support systems is highly desired.
- Experience with woven, coated and laminated high performance textiles is highly desired.
- Experience with load harnesses, inflatable structures or dry suits is highly desirable.
- Experience analyzing stresses in textile structures is desired.
- Experience with transitioning products and processes from prototype to production is desired.
- Experience with developing and qualifying innovative textile/gear product assembly processes is desired.
- Hands-on experience with designing and constructing product and process prototypes is desired.
- Inherent curiosity and take pleasure in problem solving.
- Problem-solving aptitude with commitment to do what is right.
- Positive attitude and a strong sense of commitment to deadlines.
- Good organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and complete heavy workloads.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret technical specifications, standards and drawings.
- Ability to manage project schedules and operate within specific deadlines and requirements is critical.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with MS Office.
- Ability to adapt and work well in a continually changing environment.
- Well organized with meticulous attention to detail.
- Must be willing to travel, up to 10% of the time; this position requires some travel internationally to visit Supply Chain partners, tradeshows, sales meetings, and consumer events on behalf of the company to support the above key result areas.
Engineering Manufacturing and Production Sports and Recreation