Are you interested in building hyper-scale database services in the cloud? Do you want to revolutionize the way people manage vast volumes of data in the cloud? Do you want to have direct and immediate impact on hundreds of thousands of users who use AWS database services?
Amazon RDS offers the broadest choice of fully managed highly available relational databases in the cloud, with support for Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, MariaDB, and PostgreSQL. Amazon RDS makes it easy to set up, operate, and scale a relational database in the cloud. It provides cost-efficient and resizable capacity while automating time-consuming administration tasks such as hardware provisioning, database setup, patching, and backups. It frees customers to focus on their applications and gives them the fast performance, high availability, security, and compatibility they need.
Joining the Amazon RDS team gives you the opportunity to:
• Solve challenging problems to further revolutionize database computing in the cloud
• Engage with the open-source database community
• Work for a company that's a recognized leader in the cloud computing space
• Have direct impact on hundreds of thousands of users of AWS database services
• Be involved in the fast growing big data space - learn from the experts
We're seeking a TPM to help us drive agility and efficiency across RDS service. This TPM role reports into the RDS Platform organization supporting our efforts to grow RDS at an incredibly fast pace. Customer usage of RDS continues to grow exponentially, and we are constantly raising the bar on what it means to be a managed database service. You will interface daily with program managers, engineers, managers, and senior leadership. You will be a key change agent to improve agility throughout the organization.
The individual will:
• Provide technical leadership and contributions to improve RDS delivery of new programs.
• Determine and drive engineering best practices across all of RDS.
• Identify, track and resolve technical issues impacting multiple simultaneous projects.
• Present well-reasoned and data-driven solution proposals in both verbal and written form to gain support, prioritize your recommendations on the roadmaps, and deliver results.
• Communicate clearly and concisely with executives, customers, business and technology teams.
• Work closely with Managers and Developers to deliver results, frugally and effectively.
• Work closely with other AWS teams tracking dependencies and deliverables, and launching and coordinating new initiatives to improve our agility and time-to-market.
As the right candidate, you will possess a strong program management background, have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects, and have a well-rounded technical background in current web technologies. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. As a TPM, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
• Creating a product strategy that appeals to the unique needs and requirements of database customers
• Managing the entire product life cycle from strategic planning to tactical execution
• Launching the vision, product strategy and roadmap for our products and working with key stakeholders in the company to deliver on that vision, e.g. sales, partner team, international site leaders, etc.
• Defining product requirements documents based on an intimate knowledge of the specific market segments, target customers, and product
• Defining go-to-market plan and driving enablement, working to insure that sales, SAs, Pro Serve, and the partner teams have what they need to be successful
• Driving sales by enabling business development and sales teams, leading calls with key customers, creating tools to support the success, helping to identify opportunities to increase that success
• Establishing goals and reviewing metrics to identify opportunities and deliver success
• Identify new opportunities for AWS to innovate on behalf of our customers
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 5+ years in technical program management or product management is required
• Bachelor degree in a related field is requiredPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• MBA or advanced degree in a related field preferred
• Familiarity with a relational database technology (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server)
• Previous experience managing Software-as-a-Service technology products and managed services.
• Understanding of the Enterprise services space, particularly database and analytics.
• Experience with building products and services for partners, resellers, managed services providers, and consulting companies
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to influence others internally and externally
• Ability to analyze quantitatively, problem-solve, and scope business requirements
• Ability to deliver initiatives from conception through completion
• Ability to meet tight deadlines while building creative solutions.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Software and Programming Management and Executive