We're driving ongoing efforts as Amazon reorient its outbound fulfillment systems. Our fulfillment network is radically different from the one we had just five years ago. Today we rely on a greedy per-package cost optimization, which made sense when Amazon fulfilled exclusively via Third Party carriers. But now Amazon fulfills over 50% of units using First party assets from the FC to the customer address (Sort Centers, Middle Mile, Last Mile). With First Party fulfillment, the resources are procured well in advance of demand, and the cost of such resources is mostly sunk. To efficiently use First Party resources, we need to shift from optimizing on a per-package level to a new system that manages the flows in our network. The new system will eliminate manual inputs where possible and expose simpler levers that let us strike a balance between cost, speed, and risk. This space requires a high level of strategy, engagement, execution, and operations to evolve the fulfillment capabilities for the next decade, a 21st century problem with a 21st century cutting edge technology. This initiative is fundamental to Amazon's future, and will provide great personal satisfaction and career development as we tackle some of the most intriguing transportation problems.
This role is inherently cross-functional and requires the ability to think big and collaborate with others as you work closely with teams across engineering, operations, finance, and business. Responsibilities include collection of business and systems requirements from customers across Amazon, conceptualize idea, write specifications, drive project schedules from design to release, manage the production launch, support post launch. You will lead and coordinate design/implementation efforts between internal teams and partners to develop optimal solutions. You will be expected to make appropriate trade-offs to optimize release schedules, clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to internal cross-functional and local or remote project teams.
The right candidate will possess a strong program management background, will have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects, and will have a well-rounded technical background in current technologies. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. You will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent, and leadership are essential to success in this role. You will be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity and display high levels of bias for action and ownership.
We are looking for a critical thinker who thrives on solving challenges in partnership with teams across Amazon. Are you obsessed with building world class transportation experience that delight customers and saves Amazon millions of dollars? Are you intrigued by solving complex problems with differentiating solutions? If you want to reinvent the future of transportation optimization and lead international expansion of new algorithms, come join us!
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field
• 10+ years of Technical Program Management experience in a related industry
• 5+ years of coding experience in Java, C, C++, Python, and/or Perl
• Experience with agile or other program management methodologies
• Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals
• Proven analytical thinking, project management skills, attention to detail, and exceptional organizational skills
• Experience working with a cross-functional team across science, product, operations, finance, and engineering teams to meet aggressive goals
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is needed and deliver initiatives from conception through completion
• Curiosity to dig several layers deep into technical solutions with an eye toward continuous improvementPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Master's degree in Computer Science and/or Business Administration
• Prior experience as a software developer or software program manager
• Experience with an e-commerce, transportation, or big data company
Management and Executive