Join our team
At TELUS, we're building a better future for all Canadians by using our technology for good and giving back to our communities. Our social purpose is at the heart of everything we do as a world-leading technology company and continues to set us apart.
Within our Technology team is the Voice Logical Routing team which plays a critical role in maintaining logical voice routing within the TELUS network. This includes industry updates, voice service builds, interconnections to the rest of Canada and the World with best in class network optimization and transformation. Our responsibility is to look after the core of the network and ensure it is enabled and ready to support vast array of voice services that depend on the network in order to function. We work with many technologies and are excited to be leading TELUS voice network transformation into a virtualized network. It is a unique time where we have an opportunity to evolve TELUS' voice network and you can be an integral part of that transformation and success!
If you are excited about being part of major network transformation, taking on complex challenges and collaborating in a tight team environment, then please, read on! Here's the impact you'll make and what we'll accomplish together:
As a Network Technician with our team, you will be responsible for key network operations functions including maintenance, repair, planning and support of our critical core network. You'll focus on providing reliable service through reduced time to repair, implement routing logic updates in the switches, maintaining routing automation, build network interconnections, migrate voice traffic on a provincial scale and enabling new voice services Canada wide. You will also have the unique opportunity to showcase your skills with coding and scripting we strive to enable software functionality to catch network issues and automate remedial tasks. While we respond to outage and callout situations as they occur, you will mainly work regular business hours. If you are involved in any of our transformation projects, then we may require night work to ensure minimal customer impact. You will be joining our highly-skilled team ensuring our customers have the services they rely on when then need them most! Qualifications: Here's how:
• You will be responsible for maintaining our world-class network in a high availability state
• When things break you will 'own' troubles and leverage other teams and colleagues to successfully resolve them
• You will demonstrate local area ownership of the assets and infrastructure within your support region
• You will assist planning teams with your local area expertise in recommendations for the most cost effective improvements to our equipment in support of network reliability and service improvement for our customers
• You will contribute to the ongoing improvement and expansion of our equipment and the services they provide through the testing, trace analysis and service design
• You will liaise with Event Management and leverage internal support teams during large scale service outages
• You will effectively communicate with your peers and management on a day to day basis
• You will always work in a way that is safe for yourself, your team mates and our customers
• You will look for and champion opportunities to improve our practices and processes You're the missing piece of the puzzle with your:
• Knowledge of network technology, architecture and elements, and a strong understanding of their associated inter-workings.
• Fully qualified Communication Technician Apprentice
• Normal colour vision to work with colour-coded wiring.
• Formal training or post-secondary education in electronics and telecommunications network or equivalent experience.
• Demonstrated effective decision-making skills while working under limited supervision.
• Demonstrated ability to identify problems, isolate and resolve, take appropriate action, implement solutions or escalate as required.
• Knowledge of voice routing protocols SS7, SIP and SIP-I
• Knowledge of automated provisioning, ticketing, testing and dispatch systems.
• Knowledge of network installation, maintenance and repair practices & routines
• Experience in network installation, network maintenance, and/or commissioning of network elements (hardware, software and power) would be an asset.
• Must be willing to work from home or remotely
• Must be willing and able to work various shifts as assigned (such as evenings, weekends and statutory holidays), based on business needs.
• Must be willing and able to work stand-by shifts based on business needs and be on-call in the event of network outages.
• Must follow safe work practices and abide by all safety rules and regulations.
• Must possess Personal Computer navigational skills.
• Demonstrated professional oral and written communications skills and fluent in English.
• Self-motivated, work well with minimal or no direct supervision.
• Ability to effectively handle both favourable and unfavourable customer interactions.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment and collaboratively with other departments.
• Maintain a high level of performance under the pressure of time constraints and a fast-paced changing environment.
• Demonstrated ability in planning and organizing to meet scheduled deadlines.
• Commit to continuous learning. Demonstrate the ability to learn and apply learned skills to related situations and complete and pass all related exams. Great to have's:
• Vendor Certification (CCNA or equivalent) and IP and Optical Transport experience would be an asset.
• Software development skills
• Knowledge of products and services for business and residential customers. A bit about us
Our business is connecting Canadians. Our social impact is using our world-leading technology to create meaningful change, give back to help communities thrive, and help those who need it most. When you join our team, you're helping us make the future friendly. We're committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability -your unique contributions and talents will be valued and respected here. The health and safety of our team, customers and communities is paramount to TELUS. Accordingly, we require anyone joining our team to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19