Job Description Summary
Are you looking for an opportunity to start your biotechnology career? Our Instrumentation team is looking for a Mechanical Technician! You would contribute to the design and development of mechanical and electro-mechanical laboratory automation systems from initial concept to manufacturing, launch and maintenance throughout the product life cycle. This position is integral in driving the technological innovation and continuous improvement of processes within the Instrumentation Business Unit at STEMCELL Technologies.Job Description Duties and Responsibilities
Knowledge and Qualifications
- Builds, maintains, and repairs mechanical and electro-mechanical sub-systems of laboratory automation systems during the design and development phase of projects
- Installs, troubleshoots, and tests laboratory automation systems, sub-systems and consumables, working under general supervision
- Makes adjustments to known solutions that affect the product life cycle such as manufacturing, service, regulations, troubleshooting, upgrades and backwards compatibility, competing technology and obsolescence
- Analyzes and solves mechanical and electromechanical problems using a systematic approach, participates in risk assessments
- Some machining may be required
- A bachelor's degree or technical diploma with 2+ years of relevant experience
- 2+ years of high precision mechanical assembly experience
- Proficient and practical knowledge in one or more following of the areas: robotics, vision systems, liquid handling systems, lab automation systems
- Demonstrated ability in manufacturing mechanical, electrical, or optical systems
- Hands on experience in machining would be an asset
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as "Scientists Helping Scientists" - standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative, and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and meaningful career development opportunities.
STEMCELL is well recognized for exceptional leadership and business practices. We are one of Canada's Best Managed Companies and operate an ISO 14001-certified environmental management system to measure and reduce our environmental impact.
As an equal opportunity employer, STEMCELL is dedicated to ensuring that every employee feels safe, valued, and respected for who they are. We know that scientific progress and innovation occur when diverse, creative minds come together and we are committed to nurturing a culture of inclusivity and belonging. STEMCELL enforces a zero-tolerance policy for any form of discrimination. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.
NOTE: STEMCELL's vaccination policy requires that all candidates for this role be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including with boosters) against COVID-19, as currently recommended or required by local health authorities and public health orders.
To apply, please select the "Apply" button below. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account, which is required to apply.