Mechanical Engineering Co-op Start Date:
September 2021 Duration:
8 - 12 months Location
: Teck Coal - Elk Valley, BC Why consider Teck Resources Ltd. for your Co-op placement?
Teck Resources Ltd. is Canada's largest diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with business units focused on steelmaking coal, copper, zinc and energy. Teck hires more than 150 co-op students each year to work at our various Canadian operations.
We have received several awards and recognitions that are worth noting. Teck was selected as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in both 2020 and 2021, Teck was recognized as one of the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in 2020 and in 2021 and Teck was also ranked on the Corporate Knights Best 50 for the 13th straight year based on our dedication to environmental sustainability, and social responsibility. Ideas at Work - Innovate with Teck
Digital technologies are redefining our industry and contributing to improvements in every step of the mining process. We improve our efficiency, safety, sustainability and growth by putting smarter ideas to work and crafting advancements in our technology and our practice. At Teck, we don't just embrace ideas, we employ them. We are fostering a culture where employees are encouraged to bring ideas forward, test innovative approaches and implement technologies that can help make us a better company. Professional benefits of working as a co-op with Teck Resources Ltd:
- Our values guide every decision we make as a company and as individual employees. In everything we do, Teck is led by our values of safety, sustainability, integrity, respect, excellence and courage
- The opportunity to work on exciting projects alongside a team of professionals who are specialists in their respective fields, you will experience a combination of projects in the field as well as in the office
- Competitive salary for our co-ops as well as assistance with travel costs and co-op fees
- Make an impression! Successful co-ops with Teck are given first consideration for professional positions upon graduation
Successful candidates will have the following qualifications and responsibilities:
- Working towards an Undergraduate degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Motivated self-starters with the ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously
- Comfortable working in a dynamic work environment with a willingness to work outdoors and able to operate vehicles, at our operations, in various weather conditions and terrain
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills with a capability to communicate complex ideas to all levels
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and a solid understanding of AutoCAD and Solidworks would be advantageous
- Project Management, opportunity to assist in coordination maintenance projects relating to plant, mine and maintenance expansions and modifications; responsible for organizing, scheduling and monitoring the status of maintenance projects
- Monitor project budgets and identify inefficiencies and offer cost effective solutions
- Collaborate with engineering team to produce detailed designs and drawings for mechanical projects on site such as upgrades to mobile mining equipment, processing plant or building facilities
- Coordinate the plan and schedule for maintenance shutdown work
- Supporting operations and work with skilled trades to design/build lifting devices and other aids for maintenance
- Create and evaluate innovative ideas and technologies to help improve the way we do business
- Participation in the health and safety programs of Teck to ensure that everyone on site goes home safe and healthy every day
All students will be required to complete pre-employment drug testing prior to commencing work. Lifestyle
At Teck, we have a variety of flexible schedules that can offer you a work life balance. Teck also offers the chance to live and work in some of the world's most amazing locations where year-round local attractions and recreational choices are unlimited for the outdoor enthusiast! We have world-class mountain biking, skiing, hiking and fly fishing all at your doorstep.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK. Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources .
#LI-SS1 Job Segment:
Mechanical Engineer, Engineer, Electrical, Sustainability, Engineering, Mining, Energy