Job Description Summary
Are you looking to use your mechanical engineering experience in a purpose-driven role? At STEMCELL Technologies, Canada's largest biotechnology company, your work will have a direct and positive impact on advancing scientific research in fields such as cancer, immunology, and tissue engineering. As a Mechanical Engineer, you will be involved in the design and development of mechanical and electro-mechanical laboratory automation systems from initial concept to manufacturing, launch and maintenance throughout the product life cycle. This position is integral in driving the technological innovation and continuous improvement of processes within the Instrumentation Business Unit at STEMCELL Technologies.Job Description Duties and Responsibilities
Knowledge and Qualifications
- Perform mechanical design, development and testing of new laboratory automation systems, sub-systems and consumables, working under general supervision
- Carry out in-house prototype builds
- Draw up test plans and perform testing of mechanical designs and subsystems, with limited input
- Execute risk assessments and make recommendations for risk mitigation for subsystems with limited input
- Present and make recommendations at design reviews on areas that affect the product life cycle such as manufacturing, service, regulations, troubleshooting, upgrades and backwards compatibility, competing technology and obsolescence
- A bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering in an appropriate field with 4+ years of relevant experience, or a Master's degree in Engineering with 3+ years of relevant experience
- Prototyping/machine shop capabilities
- Mechanical design and testing
- Injection molding/sheet metal design
- Communication (oral, written, presenter) and interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively in a team and with cross-functional teams
This role requires being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as per STEMCELL's vaccination policy, the current recommendations by local health authorities and as required by public health orders in place from time to time, including any COVID-19 boosters as recommended by local health authorities and as required by public health orders in place from time to time.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as "Scientists Helping Scientists" - standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative, and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and meaningful career development opportunities.
STEMCELL is well recognized for exceptional leadership and business practices. We are one of Canada's Best Managed Companies and operate an ISO 14001-certified environmental management system to measure and reduce our environmental impact.
As an equal opportunity employer, STEMCELL is dedicated to ensuring that every employee feels safe, valued, and respected for who they are. We know that scientific progress and innovation occur when diverse, creative minds come together and we are committed to nurturing a culture of inclusivity and belonging. STEMCELL enforces a zero-tolerance policy for any form of discrimination. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.
NOTE: STEMCELL's vaccination policy requires that all candidates for this role be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including with boosters) against COVID-19, as currently recommended or required by local health authorities and public health orders.
To apply, please select the "Apply" button below. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account, which is required to apply.