Software Development Manager, Amazon Shopping API
Looking for a green-field opportunity that improves the lives of millions of customers, accelerates thousands of engineers, and increases the speed of innovation at Amazon? Good, because we have one of those. We're rethinking the development model for building shopping experiences at Amazon, and are building a team to deliver it.
Shopping is becoming much more complex. Amazon provides a single destination to purchase a book, rent a movie, stock up on toiletries, buy a snowplow, discover a new wine, rent a herd of goats to mow your lawn, and much more. We want customers to discover and purchase any product or service on any platform - browsers, mobile apps, watches - you name it. In order to do that, we need to encapsulate all of the complexity of building a shopping experience. We're building a single API that any small group of engineers could look at and say "Yeah, I know how to build on that". That's where you come in.
We're building a Tier-1, high-availability, high-performance service that will power every Amazon shopping experience. With this service, building a new shopping experience will become a straightforward process that does not require in-depth knowledge of every product category at Amazon.
We're looking for a creative, deeply technical, full stack, customer-obsessed software development manager deliver the vision of Amazon's Shopping API. As a Software Development Manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of engineers in the design, development, testing, and deployment of tier-1 services and tools.
This position requires experience with:
• Building, operating, and evolving high availability, high throughput, low latency services on commodity hardware.
• Designing durable service APIs that are easy to use but enforce encapsulation of business logic in the appropriate layers.
• Managing multi-functional organizations, including engineers, software development managers, technical project managers, and quality assurance engineers.
• Managing stakeholders across job functions and levels - from engineers to senior executives.
This is a hands on position: direct technical management, mentoring, delivery, and maintenance required. You will think globally, ensuring we continue to build high performance systems that can scale gracefully across every product we sell. Amazon has pioneered shopping and we're just getting started.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 2+ years people management experiencePREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Expertise in leading the delivery of large-scale services for complex business offerings
• Expert knowledge and deep experience in at least one of the following major technical areas: RESTful services, high throughput services, data modeling, caching, engineering for availability, distributed systems, or managing frameworks used by thousands of engineers.
• Experience with Agile Development Teams, Middleware, and complex systems analysis
• Ability to scale up the effectiveness of a larger technical organization through mentoring and training.
• Passion for customer/user experience
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Software and Programming