Manager, Data Science Centre of Excellence Position Overview Aon Hewitt has announced BCAA as a 2018 Canadian Gold Level Best Employer
BCAA has an opening for the position of Manager, Data Science Centre of Excellence .
The successful applicant will be responsible for leading a growing team of data scientists, BI developers and data engineers to deliver insights that will add measureable value across the organization. They will work closely with key business stakeholders to solve problems and add insights based on data, research and predictive modelling. The ability to communicate the results of complex analyses to leaders and team members from both technical and non-technical backgrounds, and to support and drive the implementation of advanced models and machine learning solutions, will be key to success. What's the status?
Regular Full-TimeWhat are the hours?
35 hour work weekKey Responsibilities Include What you bring: Modelling and Analytics
• Identify opportunities where data solutions can be developed to add value across the organization.
• Develop, maintain and refine advanced models to provide valuable insights for strategic decision making in a range of areas across BCAA's varied business lines.
• Analyze both structured and unstructured data to identify patterns, trends/dependencies and communicate the results to the relevant stakeholders. Work with department teams on a range of business problems, identifying and supporting the implementation of solutions to drive improved business results through a combination of advanced analytics, process engineering and usage of new data discovery tools.
• Use statistical and machine learning techniques to provide insight on all aspects of BCAA's business and identify opportunities for enhancement.
• Suggest and evaluate potential solutions derived from the output of predictive models, turning them into tangible cost benefits for the given business area.
• Peer review of model structure, assumptions and output to ensure quality and accuracy of solutions.
• Collaborate with key business stakeholders and executive team to enhance and/or develop new products, services and experiences.
• Research and develop new ways to apply and analyze experiments to benefit the organization. Research
• Explore, develop and test new modeling techniques/tools within the field of machine learning and predictive modelling. Communicate recommendations to senior leadership and play a key role in shaping development of strategy.
• Research and implement uses of external sources of data and information that can bring additional insight into the business. Ensure collaboration across all relevant stakeholders on areas of research. Embedding Advanced Analytics Capability
• Represent data as a strategic business asset across the organization, contributing to long range data strategy and valuation.
• Support and enable collaboration across the different areas of the business to democratize information and ensure there are no 'data silos'.
• Promote and highlight opportunities to use data and information assets in decision making across the organization.
• Strategize on making analyses easily repeatable and generalizable by other team members in the future.
• Thoroughly document assumptions, methodology, validation and testing to facilitate sharing of knowledge and insight.
• Assist with embedding the use of advanced analytical tools and techniques across analytics teams at BCAA.
• Assist in the development of a Data University program to help ensure enterprise wide enablement and adoption of data driven decisioning. Leadership
• Lead engagement and development of direct reports, ensuring successful team performance and strong collaboration with business partners.
• Lead the workflow of the analytics team ensuring the long term goals of the underwriting department are well defined, understood and fulfilled.
• Ensure the team has sufficient skills and experience to meet department objectives.
• Ensure knowledge transfer and retention in team.
• Manage succession and career development plans.
• Provide performance management as required.
• Ensure best BCAA HR practices, documentation and procedures are followed. Minimum Qualifications Whatyou bring: Education & Credentials:
• Bachelor's Degree and Post Graduate Degree ( Ph.D. or Master's degree) in Data Science, Analytics, Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences or other quantitative discipline. Experience:
• 6+ years of experience in quantitative business analysis role, at least 2 of which are in a direct/project management role or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Required skills:
• Strong skills in analyzing complex statistical problems, and proposing applicable solutions supported by clearly documented algorithms.
• Experience with advanced analytics, strong attention to detail, likes to solve problems, is intellectually curious and an innovator.
• Experience of iteratively analyzing data, integrating new data sources, experimenting and optimizing.
• Highly competent with quantitative data analysis and utilizing data to drive decision-making, specifically related to measuring and demonstrating effectiveness.
• Capability to learn and develop new analytical techniques as required.
• Demonstrated expert skills in coding, analytical and statistical techniques and approaches used to drive fact-based decision-making.
• Proven communication and interpersonal skills along with the ability to present at all levels of the organization, to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Ability to tell a story with data both verbally and visually.
• Demonstrated success in partnering experience with technology departments, data integration and decision science based resources to solve complex business problems.
• Experience with GLMs, logistic regression, clustering techniques and machine learning algorithms.
• Experience with the following tools/languages for data acquisition and manipulation: SQL, R/SAS/Python.
• Experience with the following tools/languages for data visualization and reporting: Tableau, SAP Lumira, Power BI, etc.
• Knowledge and working experience of Machine Learning libraries such as scikit -learn, SparkML, mllib. Desired Skills
• Experience with financial and insurance services data.
• Previous experience applying advanced analytics to problems in marketing, customer insights/engagement, ecommerce, and/or social media areas.
• Experience working with unstructured data.
• Experience with machine learning algorithms such as random forests, GBMs, neural networks and other emerging techniques.
• Experience in machine learning implementations and clear understanding of the supporting business use cases.
• Data and analytics consulting experience (can be as internal or external consultant to organization). Division
CFO Job Status
Regular Full Time (RFT) Location Name
Head Office (Burnaby) Location Name