Manager, Corporate Accounting
Reference ID: 3482717
Manager, Corporate Accounting
Aon Hewitt has announced BCAA as a Platinum Best Employer for 2019
If you are looking for an empowering and progressive place to build your career, then you've landed in the right place at BCAA. With our corporate Head Office in Burnaby and locations around BC, we offer a wide variety of opportunities all across the province. Go the extra mile and share our vision to be the most trusted organization in British Columbia, absolutely famous for doing the right thing.
What is the job?
The Manager, Corporate Accounting leads BCAA's full-cycle accounting and financial reporting processes, including:
• Daily accounting activity (month-end, quarter-end, etc)
• External and statutory financial reporting
• Maintaining an effective system of internal controls
• Tax and other regulatory compliance (e.g. FICOM, Stats Canada, GST, PST, etc)
This role is responsible for applying effective accounting and tax policies and practices throughout BCAA to safeguard the integrity of all financial information. The position manages the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements along with the corresponding tax filings and account analysis.
Together with his/her Finance management peers, the Manager, Corporate Accounting also works collaboratively with cross-functional teams of Finance professionals to provide analysis an insight to support BCAA's business units to achieve their goals under the organization's strategic priorities:
The Manager, Corporate Accounting has direct influence over evaluating and recommending accounting policies within various accounting frameworks and is responsible for timely and accurate production of regulatory reports and financial statements.
This role requires rigorous oversight of financial reporting, continuous process improvement, and the use of professional judgment in decision-making.
What is the status?
What are the hours?
35 hour work week
What BCAA offers you:
It's not in our nature to brag but we are proud of some of our achievements that recognize great employee culture. Some of our latest awards include being announced as a Platinum Best Employer for 2019 and Top 50 Employers for Young People - 2015.
•Great compensation packages, including bonus
•We enthusiastically support learning and advancement opportunities for our team members offering, Automotive Apprenticeship and Leadership Development programs.
•We have an amazing Total Rewards Program which offers: Extended Health and Dental, Vision Care, Life Insurance, RRSP matching with company contribution to your pension, access to Incentive Programs, Team Profit Sharing, Employee & Family Assistance Program and more.
•Our team members get to make a difference in the lives of our Members and their communities every day.
•We pride ourselves in being open and transparent and in empowering our people to do great work while serving our Members.
•We are an equal opportunity employer that's committed to accessible, inclusive employment.
Key Responsibilities Include
• Manage the preparation of associated transaction and account analysis of all reported financial information
• Oversee the preparation and review of GL account reconciliations including sub-system to ledger reconciliations
• Implement continuous improvement throughout the financial reporting cycle to optimize accuracy and efficiency
• Lead BCAA's day to day corporate accounting functions and oversee the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements within established timeframes
Audit & Internal Controls
• Lead the completion of external audits for the BCAA group of companies
• Oversee the preparation of the annual working paper package for the Association's external auditors and the assistance provided in the completion of the year-end audit
• Develop action plans to address the auditor's management letter points and to reduce auditor adjustments
• Provide an effective system of internal control within the flow of all financial information from the various front-end subsystems through to the financial and reporting systems
Taxation & Corporate Filings
• Oversee and maintain BCAA's compliance with current tax legislation (income and indirect taxes)
• Review and submit tax returns and installments (if required) according to statutory deadlines
• Review and submit requests for statistical financial information (e.g. Statistics Canada) as required
Financial Planning & Analysis
• Together with the division's other managers, oversee the creation and delivery of effective financial analysis for one of the organization's strategic pillars (Mobility, Insurance, Membership)
• Prioritize requests from internal stakeholders (executive team, senior management) for analysis and reporting to support execution of the organization's strategic plans
• Provide verbal and written presentations of financial analysis to internal stakeholders (executive team, senior management)
Leadership & Supervision
• Hire, train, and coach team members, providing ongoing feedback
• Ensure team has sufficient skills and experience to meet department objectives
• Ensure BCAA HR practices, documentation, and policies are followed
• Ensure knowledge transfer and retention within team
• Manage succession and career development plans
• Oversee and mentor CPA students through the PREP/PEP programs towards their designation
• Develop and maintain a collaborative working environment to support effective development and delivery of financial insights to the organization's internal stakeholders
• Carry out other related tasks and projects as assigned
• Bachelor's Degree in Business/Commerce with a concentration in Finance/Accounting from a recognized university
• CPA designation from a recognized Canadian accounting body
• Minimum 3 years of post-designation accounting or auditing experience, in a supervisory capacity in a large or multi-entity organization
• Demonstrated capability in creating an environment of ongoing coaching and mentoring to develop future successors
• External audit or tax advisory experience preferred
• Proven leadership and coaching skills
• Excellent planning, analytical, problem solving, investigative, troubleshooting, and decision making skills
• Demonstrated ability to be innovative and enhance processes to changing business needs
• Ability to effectively communicate complex accounting and tax information to both financial and non-financial people at various levels
• Strong technical accounting skills, current with the latest accounting and taxation pronouncements and emerging issues
• Experience in tax compliance and planning for Canadian-Controlled Private Corporations in a multi-entity structure
• In-depth knowledge of enterprise wide financial and reporting systems and personal computer use, with emphasis on spreadsheet and SQL database applications
• Insurance industry experience is an asset
Background Check :
• Must successfully pass a background check, which may include a criminal, credit, and credential check
Regular Full Time (RFT)
Head Office (Burnaby)
British Columbia [BC]
Compensation & Benefits Overview
At BCAA, we offer competitive compensation packages and excellent career advancement opportunities. To find out more, ask the hiring managers during your interview.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS JOB POSTING WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL THE POSITOIN IS FILLED.
BEFORE APPLYING FOR A POSTION, CLICK ON THE VIEW JOBSSECTION TO ENSURETHIS POSTINGIS ACTIVE.
Posted: January 11, 2019
Closes: March 12, 2019