LSO FORS 3 - Land and Resource Specialist Position Classification
Licensed Sc Off Forester 3 Union
Multiple Locations, BC CA (Primary)
Nanaimo, BC V9T6L8 CA
Port McNeill, BC V0N 3R0 CASalary Range
$65,367.78 - $81,773.78 annually (plus $38.87 Bi-weekly Isolation Allowance for Port McNeill) Close Date
9/29/2019 Job Type
Temporary Assignment (TA) Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> FLNRO and Rural Development Ministry Branch / Division
Regional Operations/Coast Area/West Coast Region Job Summary Land and Resource SpecialistLicensed Science Officer [Forester] 3
An opportunity to work in partnership with an Indigenous community on a high priority planning project supporting the modernization of land use planning in the province.
- 2 Year Temporary Appointment / Auxiliary position which may be extended or become permanent.
- Position can be located in Port McNeill or Nanaimo. If based in Nanaimo, regular biweekly travel to Port McNeill is required.
- An eligibility list may be established for similar permanent and/or temporary vacancies in the District or Regional Office.
- This position is also posted as a Scientific Technical Officer [Resource] 27R via Requisition 63959
The West Coast Region is seeking a results-oriented, natural resource management professional with collaborative planning experience to join our team. Respectful of the rich Indigenous history in BC, the work will facilitate meaningful relationships and provide an opportunity to advance reconciliation with Indigenous peoples. With forestry as its main focus, the Land and Resource Specialist position provides for personal and career growth through the assignment of diverse and interesting work.
Working with the local Indigenous community, the Land and Resource Specialist will represent the Province in a cooperative landscape-level land use planning project. Collectively you will review current land use designations and management objectives, with a particular focus on the Vancouver Island Summary Land Use Plan and the Vancouver Island Land Use Plan Higher Level Order, explore opportunities for changes that are responsive to the interests of the parties, and engage with stakeholders and the public.
We are seeking a highly organized individual that can effectively lead a diverse project team. Dealing with complex natural resource issues, the Land and Resource Specialist will be responsible for the management, coordination and outcome of this time-sensitive project from initiation through to conclusion.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
A career with the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development offers an exceptional opportunity to undertake a variety of challenging and rewarding roles, while supporting a healthy work/life balance.
The BC Public Service offers excellent benefits, opportunities for learning and development and much more . Your earnings include benefits for health and wellness, life insurance, retirement and more - reflecting the true value of our employees. On top of the base salary, regular, full-time Professional Employee Association members are also entitled to an allowance to cover professional fees and a 7% allowance in lieu of overtime, shiftwork and standby, which can be taken as either time or money. They also enjoy a 35 hour work week and have an initial 4-week paid annual vacation allowance.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Kathy.DesRochers@gov.bc.ca
. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.
Information and tips about how to complete your job application, including adding or editing your résumé and applying for jobs, are available at the following link: Your Job Application . If you still experience technical difficulties applying for a competition, please send an email to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
before the stated closing time and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.NOTE:
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
JOB REQUIREMENTS:To be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirement as outlined below:
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile.
- A Bachelor's Degree in a natural resource management related field or an equivalent combination of education/training plus, 3 or more years' experience working in a natural resource discipline.
- Registered, or immediately eligible for registration, as a fully licensed professional with the Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals.
- Demonstrated recent [within last 5 years] and relevant experience managing technical and/or professional staff in natural resource management in a direct, matrix or project management environment.
- Demonstrated recent [within last 5 years] knowledge and/or experience with Regional Land Use Planning Processes in the context of natural resource management in BC.
- Demonstrated recent [within last 3 years] experience in a multiple stakeholders and partners environment understanding perspectives, conflicts and facilitating / developing solutions.
- Recent [within last 3 years] experience related to First Nations consultation, collaboration and relationship building in British Columbia.
- Experience with geospatial analysis and data preferred.
- Valid B.C. Class 5 driver's licence.
A Criminal Record Check [CRC] will be required.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:Professional Designation: YES -
Please include your registration number in your application. You must be registered [or immediately eligible for registration] with the British Columbia professional association as required by the specialty area.Note
: immediately eligible for registration is defined as being able to transfer a current membership from an applicable jurisdiction. Confirmation of registration/eligibility will be required before an offer of employment can be made.Cover Letter: YES -
A cover letter is required as part of your application. Please ensure you clearly articulate how you meet the job requirements. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.Résumé: YES -
Ensure your résumé includes your educational accomplishments, employment history, including job titles, start and end dates [month and year] and your job related responsibilities for each job in your employment history - including all relevant information that relates to the specific job to which you are applying.Questionnaire: YES -
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a standard online questionnaire [current employment status, eligibility to apply, etc.]Job Category
Scientific and Technical